Understanding DAC Output: Can It Accidentally Spit Out Digital Values?

• Thread starter lcr2139
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Output
In summary: The output I am looking at seems to be fluctuating by discrete values and I was wondering if it was related to the DAC.
lcr2139
I had a question regarding DACs. Can they accidentally spit out digital values? The output I am looking at seems to be fluctuating by discrete values and I was wondering if it was related to the DAC.

Engineering news on Phys.org
lcr2139 said:
I had a question regarding DACs. Can they accidentally spit out digital values? The output I am looking at seems to be fluctuating by discrete values and I was wondering if it was related to the DAC.
That's what DACs do -- they output an analog voltage (or current) that is related to the digital input.

There are measures of the accuracy and precision of DACs. Are you familiar with how to measure these qualities? Which DAC are you using?

I am using the LTC2601. I would like to get rid of the noise that is coming out of it. How do I do this?

lcr2139 said:
I am using the LTC2601. I would like to get rid of the noise that is coming out of it. How do I do this?
That looks to be a pretty good quality DAC, and has a guaranteed monotonic output:

https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/parts/datasheet/262/LTC2601-pdf.php

What kind of noise are you seeing? I'm guessing it's coming from something else. How is the digital input to the DAC being generated? Can you post a schematic?

Likes jim hardy
I can't post a picture, but basically the temperature is jumping around between around 0.2 degrees C, peak to peak. It seems to go straight from one value to the next, instead of gradually changing. That is why I think it is a problem with the DAC.

lcr2139 said:
I can't post a picture, but basically the temperature is jumping around between around 0.2 degrees C, peak to peak. It seems to go straight from one value to the next, instead of gradually changing. That is why I think it is a problem with the DAC.
It's a precision 16 bit DAC. The problem is elsewhere, most likely. Why can't you use the UPLOAD feature to post a picture or scan of the schematic?

What is the source of the temperature data? What SPI temperature sensor are you using? How many bits does that 0.2 degree jump represent for the DAC?

Likes jim hardy
lcr2139 said:

if your resolution is 0.2 degrees, then that is what will happen. To find your resolution you'll need the circuit topology and know information about all the components of your system.

If 0.2 degrees is indeed your max resolution, then you will need to deal with the problem.

If your problem is simply the sharpness of the data, that is a fact of life when dealing with real components. If you don't like it for visual reasons you can pass allways the data through a low pass filter.

As everybody else has pointed out,
the DAC in all probability is faithfully reporting whatever number it is given by the computer.

Basic trouble shooting - encircle the trouble then tighten that circle using logical steps..
Use software to print the number that is being handed to the DAC. That way you have drawn a circle around the DAC and you know whether to look inside or outside that circle.
Or write a program that repeatedly hands DAC the same number .

With what are you reading the DAC output? Maybe it's fibbing.

Lastly, what is the nature of your Vref applied to pin 6 ?
This thing appears to multiply that voltage by whatever binary number you hand it
from the better datasheet at http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/datasheet/2601fb.pdf
upload_2016-6-6_14-55-42.png

so a sloppy Vref at pin 6 = a sloppy output. You didn't just tie it to Vcc did you ?

Do you see how much you've asked us to guess ?

Likes donpacino
As donpacino and berkeman both asked
0.2 degrees out of how many for full scale ?

1. What is a DAC?

A DAC, or digital-to-analog converter, is a device that converts digital signals into analog signals. This allows digital devices, such as computers, to interface with analog devices, such as speakers or motors.

2. How does a DAC output digital values?

A DAC outputs digital values by using a binary code to represent different voltage levels. The binary code is then converted into an analog signal, which can be measured as a voltage by the receiving device.

3. Can a DAC accidentally spit out incorrect digital values?

Yes, a DAC can accidentally spit out incorrect digital values if there are errors in the conversion process. This can happen due to noise, interference, or malfunctioning components. It is important to carefully design and test DAC systems to ensure accurate output.

4. What can cause a DAC to spit out incorrect digital values?

In addition to external factors such as noise or interference, a DAC can also experience errors due to internal factors such as faulty components or incorrect programming. It is important to troubleshoot and identify the source of the error in order to fix it.

5. How can I ensure accurate output from a DAC?

To ensure accurate output from a DAC, it is important to carefully design and test the system. This includes using high-quality components, minimizing noise and interference, and calibrating the DAC regularly. It is also important to monitor the system for any potential errors and troubleshoot them promptly.