Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damped Harmonic Motion

1. Mar 16, 2007 #1
    Hey guys, using my knowledge of y=(e^ax) sin bx and y=(e^ax) cos bx, I need to find an example where these functions could be used as a model. I was thinking about damped harmonic motion but had a tough time trying to find an example and how i could relate it to those two graphs, any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2007 #2
    The example can be a simple pendulum. But "y" cannot be the two things simultaneously. It is sin or cos or more general: cos(bx+phi)
  4. Mar 16, 2007 #3
    Would i be able to use a mass on the end of a spring? what would the graph look like if so?
  5. Mar 16, 2007 #4
    Damped motion on a spring, voltage across an RC oscillator, an electromagnetic plane wave propagating through a lossy (or gain) medium, the tail of the wavefunction of a particle in a finite well: the list goes on and on and on.
  6. Mar 16, 2007 #5
    Could i please have a quick explanation of the damped motion on a spring, and will the graph have a formula something like y=(Ae^-ax) cox (bx+pi)
  7. Mar 16, 2007 #6
    Try wikipedia
  8. Mar 16, 2007 #7

you'ld need a "dashpot" for there to be any damping.
  9. Mar 16, 2007 #8

Homework Helper

Look for the underdampening case in damped harmonic motion.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?