1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damped harmonic oscillation

1. Nov 29, 2008 #1
    I am not sure that I understand what damped harmonic oscillation is different from simple harmonic oscillation, can someone please explain that to me? I read wikipedia and still doesn't get it...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2008 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An simple harmonic oscillator is a harmonic oscillator where the only force acting on it is the restoring force. A damped harmonic oscillator on the other hand, has an additional damping or frictional force, such as drag, acting on it.

4. Nov 29, 2008 #3
    so therefore in a damped harmonic oscillation the oscillation will eventually stop because of the friction? in theory...

5. Nov 29, 2008 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Eventually, yes. Unless of course it is a driven, damped oscillator, that is the case when there is some external periodic force applied.

6. Nov 29, 2008 #5
    hmm..well I am actually doing this experiment and I can get the friction of the oscilattion really2 small.. however my TA's said to put magnets on top of the oscillation object, do you know why?

7. Nov 29, 2008 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps if you described the apparatus, I could be of more help.

8. Nov 29, 2008 #7
    well I am using an air tracks and on top of it I have a glider. It says that magnets are use to create the damping force . A moving magnet creates an induced current in nearby conductors, in this case the air track. This induced current creates a magnetic field that opposes the motion of the original magnet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?