Exploring Complex Roots of Underdamped Systems: Why the Sine Term?

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a differential equation involving complex roots in an under damped system. The solution features a sine term, which is usually imaginary according to Euler's formula. However, the document states that the sine term is real due to the complex coefficients A and B being conjugate numbers. This leads to a fundamental misconception about the topic.
tomizzo
I'm trying to do some refreshing of differential equations featuring damped systems. Specifically, I have a question regarding the differential equation solution to an under damped system involving complex roots.

Referring to the attached pdf, an under damped system will yield a complex conjugate pair of roots. I am curious as to why the basic real solution features a sine term (refer to second attachment). If I remember Euler's formula correctly, the sine term is always imaginary and is not featured in the real solution. However, this document states otherwise... I believe I have a fundamental misconception regarding this topic.

Any idea why the negative imaginary conjugate yields a sine term in the time domain?

Attachments

• MIT18_03SCF11_s13_2text.pdf
    331.9 KB · Views: 709
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17.5 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have complex numbers are solutions to your characteristic equations, say, a+ bi and a- bi, then the solution to the corresponding differential equation is of the form [tex]Ae^{(a+ bi)t}+ Be^{(a- bi)t}= Ae^{at}e^{ibt}+ Be^{at}e^{-ibt}= e^{at}(Ae^{ibt}+ Be^{-ibt})[/tex][tex]= e^{at}(Acos(bt)+ Ai sin(bt)+ Bcos(bt)- Bsin(bt))= e^{at}((A+ B)cos(bt)+ i(A- B)sin(bt))[/tex]

There is, in fact, an "i" multiplying A- B. HOWEVER, "A" and "B" themselves are complex numbers, not real numbers. As long as we have only real number values for the initial or boundary values, because this has to solve a problem involving only real numbers, we must have A+ B real and A- B imaginary (so that i(A- B) is real). That is the same as saying that A and B must be conjugate complex numbers.

(If you had a differential equation in which the initial values or boundary values involved complex numbers themselves, then you could not assume the coefficients are real- but in that case, you would be better off leaving the solutions as [itex]e^{(a+ bi)t}[/itex] and [itex]e^{(a- bi)t}[/itex].)

Related to Exploring Complex Roots of Underdamped Systems: Why the Sine Term?

1. What is the significance of exploring complex roots of underdamped systems?

Exploring complex roots of underdamped systems helps us understand the behavior and stability of these systems. It also allows us to predict and control their response to different inputs.

2. What exactly are underdamped systems?

Underdamped systems are dynamic systems that have a damping ratio less than 1, meaning that they have a tendency to oscillate or vibrate after being disturbed.

3. Why is the sine term important in the study of underdamped systems?

The sine term represents the oscillatory behavior of underdamped systems. It is a crucial component in the mathematical representation of these systems and helps us understand their response to external forces.

4. How do complex roots affect the behavior of underdamped systems?

Complex roots play a significant role in determining the stability and response of underdamped systems. They can either amplify or dampen the oscillations, depending on their location in the complex plane.

5. Can the study of complex roots of underdamped systems be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, understanding the complex roots of underdamped systems has practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and biology. It can help us design and control systems to achieve desired responses and avoid undesirable oscillations.