Using Complex Numbers to find the solutions (simple Q.)

In summary, if the forcing function is a cosine, we get the real part as the particular solution. If the forcing function is a sine, we get the imaginary part as the particular solution.
JTC
Say you have an un-damped harmonic oscillator (keep it simple) with a sine or cosine for the forcing function.

We can exploit Euler's equation and solve for both possibilities (sine or cosine) at the same time.

Then, once done, if the forcing function was cosine, we choose the real part as the particular solution. If it was sine, we choose the imaginary solution.

Can someone say, in words, how we know this works?

I know it works because I can do it. How do we justify it? Most books just do it, but never explain why it works.

I am NOT looking for an advanced mathematical proof. I just want to know, in simple words, how we know this works.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JTC said:
Then, once done, if the forcing function was cosine, we choose the real part as the particular solution. If it was sine, we choose the imaginary solution.
No we don't. The observable satifies a differential equation and the observable is real. We 'choose' the real part of the solution.

A sine is a cosine with a phase difference. That way we have an amplitude and a phase as constants so that we can satisfy the boundary conditions.

Check out the damped case as well, maybe it will be a bit clearer then

BvU said:
No we don't. The observable satifies a differential equation and the observable is real. We 'choose' the real part of the solution.

A sine is a cosine with a phase difference. That way we have an amplitude and a phase as constants so that we can satisfy the boundary conditions.

Check out the damped case as well, maybe it will be a bit clearer then

As I understood, and worked out, if the forcing function was sine, we WOULD choose the imaginary.

And I am ONLY discussing the nature of the particular solution. I am not interested in (in the case of damping--yes, bringing that back in), the transient solution.

I am aware that I CAN work this out by sticking with the complex solution and consolidating it with a phase shift. But I am not interested in that discussion either.

I would just like to know WHY this method of using Euler's formula to extract the real or imaginary (again, NOT interested in the phase right here), works.

JTC said:
As I understood, and worked out, if the forcing function was sine, we WOULD choose the imaginary
Hard for me to guess how it looks -- my telepathic capabilities have proven to be quasi non-existent --, so can you post something to show that ?

Likes member 587159

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real part and an imaginary part. It is usually written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i representing the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. How are complex numbers used to find solutions?

Complex numbers can be used to solve equations that have no real solutions. They can also be used to simplify calculations involving quantities with both real and imaginary components.

3. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (5 - 4i) = (3+5) + (2i-4i) = 8 - 2i.

4. What is the difference between complex conjugates and complex square roots?

Complex conjugates are two complex numbers that have the same real part but opposite imaginary parts. The complex square root of a number is a complex number that, when squared, gives the original number. For example, the complex conjugate of 2 + 3i is 2 - 3i, and the complex square root of -4 is 2i or -2i.

5. Can complex numbers be plotted on a graph?

Yes, complex numbers can be plotted on a graph known as the complex plane. The real part is represented on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. This allows for a visual representation of complex numbers and their relationships with each other.