How Do Complex Roots Transform into Trigonometric Functions in ODEs?

• Thread starter koab1mjr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode Roots
In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with a math problem involving vibrations and complex roots. They are trying to understand how to express the solution in trigonometric form and are wondering about the presence of an imaginary number in the solution. They are seeking clarification from experts in the field.
koab1mjr
Hi All

I am rusty with my my math and got stumped with a straight forward question regarding vibrations and complex roots.

I have a 2nd order ODE

x'' +4 x' + 16 x = some forcing funciton

This turns out complex roots. I go through the run around of solving this and I get a complete solution complementary plust specific. My question is in going from the general form of an 2nd order ODE C1exp At+ C2exp-Bt = x wheere A and B are imaginary to the trig representation. I still have an i. On some websites you will see the trig representation without an i. Is that folded into C2?

I want to keep the i but not sure why. I vaguely remember it having to do with how you wish to express the motion or something like that if it was a vibration problem. I also remembered if you looked at it as vectors on the complex plane the presense of the i was the same as rotating 90 degrees CCW.

Any math gurus out there can get the dust betweeen my ears out it would be much apprecaited.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi koab1mjr! :smile:

if your roots are a ± ib,

then your solutions are Ae(a+ib)t + Be(a-ib)t,

which is the same as eat(Aeibt + Be-ibt),

or, if you prefer, eat(Ccosbt + D sinbt),

where A B C and D can of course be complex :wink:

Related to How Do Complex Roots Transform into Trigonometric Functions in ODEs?

What are complex roots of an ODE?

The complex roots of an ODE, or Ordinary Differential Equation, refer to the values of the independent variable that satisfy the equation when complex numbers are used as the solution. These roots can be found by setting the equation equal to zero and solving for the values of the independent variable.

Why are complex roots important in solving ODEs?

Complex roots are important in solving ODEs because they allow for a more complete and accurate solution. In some cases, real numbers may not be sufficient to fully solve an ODE, and complex roots provide a more comprehensive understanding of the equation.

What is the relationship between complex roots and eigenvalues?

The complex roots of an ODE are closely related to the eigenvalues of the corresponding matrix equation. In fact, the eigenvalues of the matrix can be used to determine the complex roots of the ODE and vice versa. This connection is important in understanding the behavior and stability of solutions to ODEs.

Can complex roots be used in real-world applications?

Yes, complex roots have numerous real-world applications, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems with oscillatory or periodic solutions.

How can I determine the complex roots of an ODE?

The complex roots of an ODE can be determined through various methods, such as using the characteristic equation or the characteristic polynomial. Additionally, there are numerous software programs and calculators that can find the complex roots of an ODE for you.