Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damping A Magnetic Field

1. Oct 23, 2008 #1
    I've been somewhat curious about this for a little while:

Is there a way to obstruct a magnetic field so that it is weaker in one area and stronger than another.

I have attached a picture of what I'm kind of looking for, but also anything that could cause the same effect in terms of focusing the field into one place would be very helpful as well (like would a coiled magnet do this effectively?).

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 25, 2008 #3
    Without knowing your desired use, if you are hoping to construct a 'pseudo" magnetic monopole for PMM application, good luck. Shielding won't work, and damping will but requires energy applied thus negating PMM.

Then again, I have no idea what you are eventually after.

If you could explain your application, I might be of some help.
  5. Oct 25, 2008 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Magnetic field lines emerge from one point in the magnet, and enter another point: they don't form circles around the magnet like you've drawn.

There's a property of field lines that makes them very useful for understanding if a given field condition is possible: remember that you cannot change the entrance and exit points for a given field line at the magnet, but in between, you can reroute the field lines any way you like, provided that two lines never touch each other.
  6. Oct 26, 2008 #5
    Right, I had also noticed the drawing to be inaccurate, but I ignored it assuming the OP knows about field lines and chose to draw a simplistic(albeit inaccurate) diagram for his question.

In any event, V-50, I have a question related to the OP's query:

Do magnetic fields from a permanent magnet actually express in discreet "lines of force"?
    If so, is their a magnetic force "in-between" those lines???

Or, are the "lines" merely an artifact of measurement techniques(iron filings, for example)

I'm not sure I asked this well... hope you can understand my questions.
  7. Oct 26, 2008 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

The lines are imaginary (but nevertheless useful). One could use different measurement units and get different numbers of lines. (The iron filing lines you see depend on the size of the filings)
  8. Oct 26, 2008 #7
    i am not great in physics and i am learning . it looks like you have a ball or circle there. maybe you could construct your circle or ball out of different metals or non metals . The area where you want less magnetism could be a non magnetic substance of equal weight or non equal weight, depending on what you want to construct. Correct me if i am wrong, just a newbie buff here.
  9. Oct 26, 2008 #8
    non magnetic i mean like clay or plastic or other material. a combination to try to achieve your goal
  10. Oct 27, 2008 #9
    Ok. I appreciate your help.

In terms of what I was doing was transporting some sensitive electronics.

It all worked out fine.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?