Find Damping Constant of Pendulum: Formula & Tips

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the damping constant of a pendulum and suggests working with linear differential equations and learning about projectile motion with air resistance. The conversation also mentions deriving the equation of motion for a pendulum from its length and mass.
NINHARDCOREFAN
How do I find the damping constant of a pendulum? Is there a formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd assume that you start with the equations of motion for an undamped pendulum, and then add in a retarding force that increases with angular velocity. Are you familiar with how to derive the equation of motion of a pendulum from the length and the mass?

No, all I know is how to find its period.

you need to work with linear differiential equations. you can have linear drag or quadratic drag (then it will be nonlinear). i suggest you learn some projectiles motions involving air resistance first if all you know is the formula for the period...

Can someone please give me the equation with length and mass? I'll try to derive it.

Last edited:
NINHARDCOREFAN said:
Can someone please give me the equation with length and mass? I'll try to derive it.
We don't give out answers here in the PF. We guide:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum

1. What is the formula for finding the damping constant of a pendulum?

The formula for finding the damping constant of a pendulum is k = -(ln(A/An))/t, where A is the amplitude of the pendulum, An is the amplitude of the nth swing, and t is the time taken for the pendulum to complete n swings.

2. How do I measure the amplitude of a pendulum swing?

The amplitude of a pendulum swing can be measured by marking the maximum height and the lowest point of the swing, and then calculating the difference between the two points.

3. What is the purpose of finding the damping constant of a pendulum?

The damping constant of a pendulum is used to determine the rate at which the pendulum's amplitude decreases over time, allowing us to understand the effects of friction and air resistance on the pendulum's motion.

4. Are there any tips for accurately measuring the damping constant of a pendulum?

To accurately measure the damping constant of a pendulum, it is important to ensure that the pendulum is swinging in a consistent and controlled environment, and that the amplitude of the swings is small enough to avoid distortion of the results. It may also be helpful to take multiple measurements and calculate the average value.

5. Can the damping constant of a pendulum be negative?

Yes, the damping constant of a pendulum can be negative. A negative damping constant indicates that the pendulum's amplitude is increasing over time, which can happen if there is an external force acting on the pendulum or if there is an error in the measurement. However, in most cases, the damping constant will be positive as the pendulum's amplitude typically decreases due to the effects of friction and air resistance.