Damping ratio and Maximum overshoot relation

In summary: The OP had some misconceptions with regards to the time response of second order systems. Leading him on with this probably won't do him/her any favors.
zoom1
There is a certain equation relating both Mp (max. overshoot) and damping ration. Which is;

Mp = e(-ζ*pi)/(1-ζ2)1/2

What I get from that equation is for every system a certain damping ratio will result the system in a certain amount of max. overshoot.

That sounds ridiculous, because every system must have its own inner dynamics, right ?

Can someone please explain me that phenomena ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What I get from that equation is for every system a certain damping ratio will result the system in a certain amount of max. overshoot.

That equation only holds for second order systems (the definition of damping ratio relates to a second order ODE). If the dominant dynamics in your system is of second order, then you can use it to some extent.

I'm not sure what you mean by inner dynamics. If you know the damping ratio of a system, then you have characterized one aspect of its dynamic response (which includes max. percent overshoot).

milesyoung said:
That equation only holds for second order systems (the definition of damping ratio relates to a second order ODE). If the dominant dynamics in your system is of second order, then you can use it to some extent.

I'm not sure what you mean by inner dynamics. If you know the damping ratio of a system, then you have characterized one aspect of its dynamic response (which includes max. percent overshoot).

Ok, you're right regarding this equation to belong to 2nd order systems.
From your bottom line what I conclude is, for every 2nd order system, a certain amount of damping leads a certain amount of max overshoot, which will be exactly the same for all the 2nd order systems.
Well, at that point another question popped-up; The max. overshoot is the max. oscillation in a signal, however every signal is not bounded to reach that max. value with the same damping ration, am I correct ? So, at that point systems (2nd order systems) can vary with the same damping ratio ?

That equation gives you the max. percent overshoot of the steady state value of the system step response. It will be the same for any other system with the same damping ratio. It is not a bound on the peak value during the first period of oscillation - it's the actual peak value (but only with a step function as the input).

Edit:
The natural response of any second order system is completely characterized by its damping ratio and natural frequency of oscillation. If they're both the same for any two systems, then they have the same natural response.

Last edited:
Exactly, I concur. The max overshoot is related to when the system is excited with a step input :)

zoom1 said:
That sounds ridiculous, because every system must have its own inner dynamics, right ?

You are right. The formula only applies for a system which can be modeled with just one degree of freedom. In other words, it only applies to systems where the "inner dynamics" don't have any significant effect on the amount of overshoot.

Of course this is a useful model in many situations - but not in EVERY situation!

What does "inner dynamics" mean?

The OP had some misconceptions with regards to the time response of second order systems. Leading him on with this probably won't do him/her any favors.

milesyoung said:
What does "inner dynamics" mean?
I took it to mean a MDOF system as opposed to a SDOF.

I think your use of "second order system" is also misleading, because MDOF systems (at least, mechanical ones) are also modeled by second order ODEs, but the OP's formula for overshoot doesn't necessarily apply to them.

1. What is the definition of damping ratio?

The damping ratio, denoted by the symbol ζ (zeta), is a dimensionless measure of the amount of damping in a system. It is a ratio of the actual damping in a system to the critical damping, which is the amount of damping required for a system to return to equilibrium in the shortest possible time without oscillating.

2. How is the damping ratio related to the maximum overshoot?

The damping ratio and maximum overshoot are inversely related. As the damping ratio increases, the maximum overshoot decreases. This means that a higher damping ratio results in a smaller maximum overshoot and a quicker return to equilibrium.

3. What is the significance of the maximum overshoot in a system?

The maximum overshoot is an important parameter in a system as it measures the maximum deviation of the response from the steady-state value. A large maximum overshoot can indicate instability or poor performance in a system, while a small maximum overshoot indicates a well-damped and stable response.

4. How can the damping ratio be calculated?

The damping ratio can be calculated using the formula ζ = c/2√(mk), where c is the damping coefficient, m is the mass of the system, and k is the spring constant. It can also be calculated from the transfer function of a system using the formula ζ = ξ/√(1-ξ^2), where ξ is the damping coefficient of the transfer function.

5. How does the damping ratio affect the settling time of a system?

The damping ratio has a direct impact on the settling time of a system. A higher damping ratio results in a shorter settling time, meaning the system reaches equilibrium faster. On the other hand, a lower damping ratio leads to a longer settling time and can result in oscillations or overshoot before reaching equilibrium.