Dark Energy Fluids: Read the Latest Research

In summary, the conversation discusses a paper that investigates the limits imposed by thermodynamics on dark energy fluids. The conclusion is that the cosmological constant problem still remains and the paper may also rule out inflation. However, the validity of these conclusions is called into question due to the fact that dark energy models are fundamentally quantum-mechanical and the complexity of thermodynamics in the context of gravity.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Although I am unable to judge this paper it should make an interesting read to toughs that can.
https://arxiv.org/abs/1810.00269

Space news on Phys.org
It is an interesting article.

One of their claims:
Here we investigate the limits imposed by thermodynamics to a DE fluid. We proof that thermodynamics rule out DE fluids.

Their conclusion:
Therefore, we believe that we have demonstrated precisely that the vacuum energy remains the strongest candidate to explain the current accelerated expansion of the Universe and the cosmological constant problem remains as one of the biggest problems of the theoretical cosmology.

Haven't read it yet, but at first blush this would seem to also rule out inflation, which makes me immediately skeptical.

Okay, I've skimmed the paper, and I really doubt that this is saying anything of note. Their thought process is to apply classical (non-quantum) thermodynamics to perfect fluids, and derive the consequences for these fluids in an expanding universe. It's an interesting bit of math, but I really don't think it applies to the problem at hand.

Dark energy models are fundamentally quantum-mechanical, and I don't think that conclusions can be drawn about their thermodynamic properties without using that fact.

There's also the potential issue that we don't yet know how to do the thermodynamics of gravity except in certain special cases. It might be possible that this complication doesn't apply here (a homogeneous, isotropic universe with dark energy might be fine), but it's a major caveat that needs to be examined.

1. What is dark energy?

Dark energy is a hypothetical form of energy that is thought to make up around 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe, and its exact nature and properties are still being studied by scientists.

2. How do we know dark energy exists?

The existence of dark energy was first proposed in the late 1990s when scientists observed that the expansion of the universe was accelerating, rather than slowing down as expected. This was confirmed by multiple independent studies, including measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the large-scale structure of the universe.

3. What are dark energy fluids?

Dark energy fluids are theoretical fluids that are used to describe the properties and behavior of dark energy. They are often modeled as a type of energy that is distributed throughout the universe, rather than being concentrated in specific locations like matter and radiation.

4. How are scientists studying dark energy fluids?

Scientists are studying dark energy fluids through a variety of methods, including observations of the universe, theoretical calculations, and experiments using advanced technology such as particle accelerators. They are also constantly refining and developing new models to better understand the nature of dark energy.

5. What are some recent findings about dark energy fluids?

Recent research has suggested that dark energy may be even more mysterious and complex than previously thought. Some studies have proposed new theories and models, while others have attempted to better understand the properties and behavior of dark energy through observations and experiments. However, the exact nature of dark energy and its role in the universe is still a subject of ongoing research and debate.