Dark energy testable in a lab?

In summary, a new model for dark energy was discussed in a seminar, proposing that small cosmological constant is generated by ordinary electromagnetic vacuum energy. The theory suggests that virtual photons exist in two states, a gravitationally active state and a gravitationally inactive state, with only the former contributing to the cosmological constant. The presenter proposed an experiment using superconductors to test this theory and admitted the possibility of it being wrong. The chances of finding two types of photons and the potential impact of this discovery were also discussed.
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I attended a seminar today in which a new theory of dark energy was discussed. I'm not sure which forum to put this in, since it includes a lot from other fields, but since it is regarding dark energy, cosmology seems the best place. Here's a link to the paper http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/astro-ph/pdf/0703/0703364v2.pdf, and abstract

We introduce a new model for dark energy in the universe in which a small cosmological constant is generated by ordinary electromagnetic vacuum energy. The corresponding virtual photons exist at all frequencies but switch from a gravitationally active phase at low frequencies to a gravitationally inactive phase at higher frequencies via a Ginzburg-Landau type of phase transition. Only virtual photons in the gravitationally active state contribute to the cosmological constant. A small vacuum energy density, consistent with astronomical observations, is naturally generated in this model. We propose possible laboratory tests for such a scenario based on phase synchronisation in superconductors.

The theory describes dark energy as fluctuations in the electromagnetic vacuum energy. The new physics that the authors invent involve describing the virtual photons to be in two states; a gravitationally active state, and a gravitationally inactive state (like spin up and spin down particles). Only photons in the gravitationally active state contribute to the cosmological constant.

He then goes on to propose an experiment that can test this, using something called a Josephson junction (from superconductor physics). They have been given funding for this, and the apparatus is currently being built, and experiments should be done by next year.

I'm not too sure how useful this will be, or even how correct or substantial the theory is, but it's a theory of dark energy that can be tested in the laboratory-- something which the other theories cannot!

The good thing about the seminar was that the presenter did not state outrageous comments, or imply that this was groundbreaking physics: he was careful and even admitted it could easily be wrong, but I think I'll definitely be looking out for the results of the experiments!

Space news on Phys.org
I have heard of other attempts to detect (and possibly claims of detections?) dark energy using solid state devices such as Josephson Junctions. If you made a measurement and showed convincingly that the vacuum energy density you get matches that implied by cosmology the Noble would be as good as on the mantelpiece. I think it's a long shot but certainly one worth taking!

Last edited:
cristo said:
The new physics that the authors invent involve describing the virtual photons to be in two states; a gravitationally active state, and a gravitationally inactive state (like spin up and spin down particles). Only photons in the gravitationally active state contribute to the cosmological constant.

What do you think the chances are of finding two different types of photons? I would think that we would have already seen the difference in gravitational lensing, right?

1. What is dark energy and why is it important to study it in a lab?

Dark energy is a theoretical form of energy that is thought to make up approximately 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. Studying dark energy in a lab can help us understand the fundamental properties of this mysterious force and its effect on the universe.

2. How can scientists test for the existence of dark energy in a lab?

Scientists can use various methods such as high-energy particle accelerators, precision measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation, and observations of the large-scale structure of the universe to test for the existence of dark energy in a lab. These experiments can help us detect the effects of dark energy on matter and light.

3. Can dark energy be created or replicated in a lab?

Currently, there is no known way to create or replicate dark energy in a lab. It is a theoretical concept that is still not fully understood. However, scientists can simulate and study the effects of dark energy using advanced technologies and simulations.

4. What are the challenges of studying dark energy in a lab?

One of the main challenges of studying dark energy in a lab is that it is an elusive and mysterious force that cannot be directly observed. It can only be detected through its effects on the universe. Additionally, the high energy and precision required for these experiments make it difficult and costly to conduct in a lab setting.

5. What are the potential implications of understanding dark energy?

Understanding dark energy can have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its evolution. It can also help us make more accurate predictions about the future of the universe and potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in physics. Additionally, studying dark energy can also shed light on other mysteries of the universe, such as the nature of dark matter.