Troubleshooting Darlington Pairs in Parallel for High Power LED Driver Circuit

• Thread starter rnbd81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parallel
In summary, the author is testing a high power LED driver circuit using a substitute for real LED's. He is using TIP665 transistors and is having problems with one or more of the transistors blowing. He is thinking there might be a problem with the transistors not being able to dissipate the power they claims. He is using a 1W resistor at the emitter to try and solve the issue.
rnbd81
Hi all

Im currently working on a high power led driver circuit, and at this point I need to test my design. Since leds are expensive (and time consuming to solder together) I am using this relatively simple circuit (http://www.edn.com/article/510832-Accurately_simulate_an_LED.php) as a substitute for real leds. It works great and all, for low power applications, but I need to simulate 700ma @ 336 volts. The only way to get darlington pairs to drop that much voltage across collector to emitter is to connect multiple pairs in parallel. I am currently working with TIP665 devices, see attached screenshot of the schematic.

I have five in parallel right now...initially testing at half power (165 Vce) and trying to run up to about 140 mA thru each one. My problem is that i slowly turn up the 250 ohm pot, and I see the cumulative current in all five branches increase to about 300mA, then at least one of the darlington pairs blows (shorts out), immediately followed by the 2 Watt 1 ohm resistor (which I'm only using to take easy current readings)...my Vbe is around 1 volt (datasheet says 8 max) so that's not the problem...the transistors are supposed to be rated at 150 watts and 400 volts Vce, so they "should" be sturdy of enought to handle the task. Note, I first tested each of the five individually at the same Vce 165 volts and they ran 140 mA for five mins no probs...Just that when they all hook up together...hmmmm

This scenario has occurred twice now, so I am thinking there is one of two problems 1) one or more of the transistors is hogging all the base current, and subsequently blowing... or...2) the transistors simply cannot dissipate the power they claim, and are failing under stress

I can't believe option 2 is correct, since each pair passes the individual test.

P.s. Each of these pairs have heatsinks, mounted in a plastic tray covered in thin plastic liner, and filled with ice...yes ice...there is a lot of wattage going out here hehe

Sooooo...ANy helpful insight Darlington parallel configurations? anyone?

Attachments

• Schematic1.doc
    96 KB · Views: 390
Engineering news on Phys.org
Problem #1 is your emitter resistor is only 0.1Ω. You want 5 transistors to provide 700mA so each is supposed to provide 140mA. The voltage drop across the 0.1Ω resistor would theoretically only 14mV. That is not enough to compensate the Vbe difference of the transistors. One or two transistors is taking on the full load while the rest is idling. For 140mA full scale, you want to have voltage drop of say 1.4V across the resistor. That means the resistor at the emitter should be 10Ω. With 10Ω the power dissipation of each resistor is 0.2W. So use a 1W resistor and it will not get hot. With 1.4V across the resistor, the difference of Vbe between the transistor will not be as important and all transistors will carry roughly the same current.

You need to adjust the voltage control circuit accordingly to accommodate the increase voltage of the emitter resistors.

Last edited:
thank you! will try that and report back, makes sense duh :)

What is a Darlington pair in parallel?

A Darlington pair in parallel refers to the connection of two Darlington pairs in a circuit, where each pair consists of two transistors connected in series. This setup allows for a higher current gain and lower input current compared to using a single Darlington pair.

Why are Darlington pairs in parallel used?

Darlington pairs in parallel are commonly used in circuits where a high current gain is required, such as in audio amplifiers, power supplies, and motor control circuits. They also help to reduce the effects of parasitic capacitance and increase the overall stability of the circuit.

How do you calculate the total current gain of Darlington pairs in parallel?

The total current gain of Darlington pairs in parallel can be calculated by multiplying the individual current gains of each pair. For example, if each pair has a current gain of 100, the total current gain would be 100 x 100 = 10,000.

What are the advantages of using Darlington pairs in parallel?

The main advantage of using Darlington pairs in parallel is the increased current gain, which allows for better control of high-current circuits. They also have a high input impedance, low input current, and low output impedance, making them suitable for a wide range of applications.

Are there any drawbacks to using Darlington pairs in parallel?

One potential drawback of using Darlington pairs in parallel is the increased complexity of the circuit, which can make troubleshooting and maintenance more difficult. They also have a higher saturation voltage, which can lead to more power dissipation and heat generation.