DC-AC converters, Solar inverters

In summary, the inverter converts low voltage from the solar panels into a higher voltage that is suitable for the grid. It does this by using a series of H-bridges. The first H-bridge raises the DC voltage to a higher voltage that the second H-bridge can chop into a sinewave.
2sin54
(I am a big newbie when it comes to electrical circuits)

So I am searching the Internet for how the Solar inverters work. Most schemes that I come across have an H-bridge with some sort of transistors. Now how I understand the transistors are controlled by an oscillator and bridge itself then converts DC current to AC current (though a square wave one).
Is this correct so far? Also, how do they get a pure sine wave from a square wave? By using inductors?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Gytax said:
Also, how do they get a pure sine wave from a square wave? By using inductors?

Yes, you are right.

The output from the transistor bridge is a rectangular wave, where the relation between high-voltage-time and low-voltage-time is varied. It is called a pwm-signal ( pulse-width-modulated signal ):

bBNPA.gif

In this way the mean voltage in the output signal can be controlled, and filtering the ouput current through an inductor, it will become sinusoidal. If the net-frequency is 50Hz, the rectangular signal could be clocked at say 16kHz.

The net is regarded as a synchronous motor to be driven. The inverter will simply follow the net/motor frequency and will try to accelerate the motor thereby delivering power to the net/motor. This is done by making a phaseshift ( 90 degrees which yields max torque as for the motor ) and the relation between active/reactive power can be controlled by the amplitude of the output voltage. If a negative phaseshift is made ( -90 degrees ) you will brake the motor/consume power from the net. So the inverter can easy be made an AC-DC converter.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
I came across the scheme I am sharing a link to below. I have a hard time understanding how does the first H-bridge (Q2-Q5) NOT convert the DC to AC. Apparently, this conversion is only achieved in the second H-bridge (Q6-Q9). What other function could the first bridge serve?
http://solar.smps.us/grid-tie-inverter-schematic.png

Well, first of all the L1-Q1 circuit acts as a DC-Voltage step up circuit ( don't remember its name ). So C2 will be charged with a higher voltage than C1.

In principle C2 could be charged to as high voltage as needed (voltage crossing C3) with respect to the grid-voltage. But of some reason "they" have chosen to make an "inter-inverter" that drives the transformer T1, probably at some high frequency ( say 1kHz sinusoidal ). Then of course you are missing the (safety)transformer, T1, that separates the solar common voltage from the grid-voltage, but Q2-Q5 and T1 can be used to further step-up the voltage.

Missing the safety-transformer, T1, you could instead replace L3-A and L3-B with a transformer with a core wherein is made an air-gap. In this way the surrogat transformer will act as a transformer and a reactance at the same time.

So you may read my answer to your question: I cannot really explain why it is made as is. It could be made otherwise.

Last edited:
2sin54 said:
I have a hard time understanding how does the first H-bridge (Q2-Q5) NOT convert the DC to AC.

Q2 -Q5 indeed does make AC from the stepped up DC voltage at C2.
That AC is immediately made back into DC by bridge D2-D5 and smoothed by L2-C3.

2sin54 said:
What other function could the first bridge serve?
The first bridge and T1 together raise the low solar panel DC voltage to a higher DC voltage suitable for the second bridge to chop into a sinewave , as Hesch showed in post #2. Observe that to chop DC into 120 volts AC you need to start with 120√2 volts .of DC..

While they didn't say what is voltage at C2 i'd bet a steak dinner it's a lot less less than at C3 .
If you have one of these gizmos take a look ay C2 and C3. Their working voltages will be written on their sides.

Thanks guys for the replies and clearing things up.

1. What is a DC-AC converter?

A DC-AC converter, also known as an inverter, is an electrical device that converts direct current (DC) power into alternating current (AC) power. This allows DC power sources, such as batteries or solar panels, to power AC devices.

2. How does a solar inverter work?

A solar inverter works by converting the direct current (DC) power generated by solar panels into alternating current (AC) power, which can be used to power household appliances. The inverter also manages the flow of electricity from the solar panels and can synchronize with the main electrical grid to send excess energy back to the grid.

3. What types of DC-AC converters are there?

There are several types of DC-AC converters, including square wave, modified sine wave, and pure sine wave inverters. Each type has its own unique waveform, which affects the quality of the AC power output. Pure sine wave inverters are the most common and produce the highest quality AC power.

4. Can a DC-AC converter be used for other applications besides solar energy?

Yes, DC-AC converters are commonly used for a variety of applications, including powering electronic devices, running appliances in RVs or boats, and converting power from batteries or generators for use in homes or businesses.

5. What are the key factors to consider when choosing a DC-AC converter?

When choosing a DC-AC converter, it is important to consider factors such as the power rating, input and output voltage, waveform type, efficiency, and safety features. It is also important to ensure that the inverter is compatible with the specific DC power source and AC load that will be connected to it.