DC motor burns out at low voltage

In summary, Chris believes that a low voltage battery on a car starter will cause the motor to burn out before its time, and that there are variables involved with the design of a starter that may affect how much current the motor pulls. He also believes that a starter is designed to work with a certain power and that this relationship is disrupted when the battery voltage is low.
triden
I am trying to understand why a DC motor will burn out at low voltages. This idea comes from my dad who is a mechanic. He says that people that always start their car with a half-dead battery tend to burn out their starters and weld parts inside it together from the heat.

Personally I think it has something to do with back EMF, but I am not sure. In a resistive load, less voltage across a load means less current flows right? Shouldn't this be the same with a car starter? Or is there something about an inductive load that allows more current to flow.

regards,
Chris

Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe that you are right about the counter EMF; the lower voltage of a half-charged battery causes the motor to turn more slowly than it normally does, and this prevents Counter EMF from building up, and excessive current travels through the motor. This causes the motor to burn out before its time.

Although it may not apply to all motors, there is also the issue of cooling. In industry, there is something known as the half-double rule of thumb: A motor may be run at as little as half, and as much as double the rated speed. Of course any particular application still requires proper engineering, but the half-double rule of thumb is commonly referenced.

The biggest concern about running most motors too slowly is that the speed of the motor determines the air flow that it gets for cooling. If a motor is run too slowly, it doesn't get enough air flow, it overheats, and the motor is damaged. However some motors - perhaps some starter motors, which have a very low duty cycle, and some specialty motors - may depend only on heat sinking to provide the cooling.

I've noticed that trying to start some motors with a low battery voltage will cause the solenoid to stick and the starter will continue to run after the ignition switch is returned to the off position. I believe it to be due to the fact that the solenoid does not slam into its contacts quickly enough and the contacts spend to much time 'halfway'. They heat and partially weld together. Also, when the contacts DO make, the voltage is lowered that much farther which does not hold the contacs tightly enough together to form a low resistance connection. The result is heating. It's a theory anyway...

In a resistive load, less voltage across a load means less current flows right? Shouldn't this be the same with a car starter? Or is there something about an inductive load that allows more current to flow.

You are correct regarding a resistive load.

A starter is designed to work at a certain power which is voltage times current. When battery voltage is low, the motor still wants its power and so pulls more current than it otherwise would since voltage is low. BUT! Because a motor which cranks slowly is using less power, I'm not at all sure what typical relationships really are...testing is the only way to know for sure.

Whatever the precise reason, it likely varies with dc motor designs...some will be capacitive loaded and some inductance loaded. My ac swimming pool motor, for example, has a BIG capacitor within. Starters on big diesel engines do not have capacitors, but they are D.

As you may know, maximum power is delivered when voltage and current are in phase...how this relationship is disrupted in a dc starting motor is not at all clear to me...

I searched online 'DC STARTER DESIGN' and got a lot of hits...:

At: http://www.electricmotors.machinedesign.com/Reg_SubForm.aspx they say...

"...The content deals with the following product types of motors: brushless, brush, fractional hp, frameless, linear, stepping, subfractional hp, synchronous, universal, ac, dc, servo among others..." Dc motors may be armature or field controlled ...

Your question is an intersting one, but requires practical application/design or failure testing experience to answer...

In the past I have sometimes contacted the manufacturer of a product and said "I bought your model ABC widgit and am interested in knowing..." As a supposed customer you'd be surprised how helpful some tech people can be..they don't all that often get to explain what they know...give it a try..."

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What causes a DC motor to burn out at low voltage?

A DC motor burns out at low voltage due to the high currents that are drawn through the motor. When the voltage is too low, the motor has to work harder to produce the same amount of power, which increases the current flowing through it. This can cause the motor to overheat and eventually burn out.

2. Can using a higher voltage prevent a DC motor from burning out?

Using a higher voltage can help prevent a DC motor from burning out, as it reduces the current flowing through the motor. This means that the motor does not have to work as hard to produce the same amount of power, reducing the risk of overheating and burning out. However, it is important to make sure that the motor is compatible with the higher voltage to avoid causing damage.

3. How can I determine the appropriate voltage for my DC motor?

The appropriate voltage for a DC motor depends on its design and specifications. It is important to consult the manufacturer's recommendations or specifications to determine the voltage range that the motor can safely operate at. Using a voltage outside of this range can cause the motor to burn out or not function properly.

4. What other factors can contribute to a DC motor burning out at low voltage?

In addition to the voltage, factors such as the motor's load, speed, and ambient temperature can also contribute to it burning out at low voltage. For example, if the motor is operating at a high speed or under a heavy load, it will draw more current and may overheat even at a relatively low voltage. Similarly, operating the motor in a hot environment can also increase the risk of burning out.

5. How can I prevent a DC motor from burning out at low voltage?

To prevent a DC motor from burning out at low voltage, it is important to ensure that the voltage is within the recommended range for the motor and that it is not operating under excessive load or speed. Additionally, regularly monitoring the motor's temperature and ensuring that it is kept within a safe range can also help prevent burning out. Proper maintenance and lubrication can also help extend the lifespan of the motor and prevent premature burnout.