Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dc natre and content

1. Mar 11, 2006 #1
    Hi reading a technical atricle about returtn to zero and non-return tozero pulses i have read that the Rz signals have more transitions than the NRZ and less DC content..
    ...an NRZ signnal appears to have a DC nature..
    What Dc content and DC bature means?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

RZ and NRZ signals will have different spectra, and the "DC content" or "nature" refers to how much energy is present at DC in each of those spectra. In general, DC content is bad, since it is really not helping to transmit any information. For practical comm channel design, you would like to limit the bandwidth used to transmit the information. The tighter the bandwidth, the less expensive and less constrained the comm channel physical layer components, generally speaking.

4. Apr 11, 2006 #3
    Thx a lot but now i want to learn what really bandwitdh is.. For many years i have beedn using the term bandwith to express how faster sth is.. For example the giga bit ethernet has bigger bandwith(here i mean ability to convey data) than the 100mbit ethernet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?