What is the relationship between the DC and AC ratings of capacitors?

In summary, the conversation is about the DC rating of microwave capacitors, which are typically 3-5 times the AC rating. The person is unsure and asks for confirmation, and someone suggests that the AC equivalent is about half of the DC rating, with the working voltage decreasing as the frequency increases.
workinprogres
Hello everyone, I have a few microwave caps rated at 2100 Volts AC and was wondering about their DC rating. I've heard that the DC rating of AC caps is usually 3-5 times the AC rating which seems to make sense but I'm not absolutely sure... If someone could please confirm or deny this I'd be very grateful :) Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What is the relationship between the DC and AC ratings of capacitors?

1. What is a DC rating of an AC capacitor?

The DC rating of an AC capacitor refers to the maximum amount of direct current (DC) that the capacitor can safely handle without causing damage. This is an important consideration when selecting a capacitor for a specific application.

2. How is the DC rating of an AC capacitor determined?

The DC rating of an AC capacitor is determined by the manufacturer through testing and is typically listed on the capacitor's datasheet. It is based on factors such as the materials used, the size of the capacitor, and the intended application.

3. Why is the DC rating of an AC capacitor important?

The DC rating of an AC capacitor is important because exceeding it can lead to damage or failure of the capacitor. This can result in malfunctions or even safety hazards in electronic devices or systems that rely on the capacitor for proper functioning.

4. Is the DC rating of an AC capacitor the same as its voltage rating?

No, the DC rating and voltage rating of an AC capacitor are not the same. The voltage rating refers to the maximum amount of voltage that the capacitor can handle, while the DC rating refers to the maximum amount of direct current. Both ratings should be considered when selecting a capacitor for a specific application.

5. Can a capacitor with a higher DC rating be used in place of one with a lower DC rating?

It is generally not recommended to use a capacitor with a higher DC rating than what is specified for a particular application. This can result in overloading the circuit and potentially causing damage. It is important to choose a capacitor with the appropriate DC rating for the intended use.