Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DE explaining simple RC circuit

1. Dec 2, 2009 #1
    I'm trying to wrap me head around what should be a very simple system, but I just can't manage it. I know there is no closed form for this problem (ignoring a voltage step like is shown in the diagram below, imagine it is a arbitrary voltage supply, or even more exactly, that R2 changes over time), and that to solve it I need to convolve equations (though I would hope I could do a pretty good numerical approximation too).

attachment.php?attachmentid=22234&stc=1&d=1259790891.gif

What I'm trying to do is get the equation for dV/dt in terms of Vcmd, R1, R2 and C

So I know
    Itot = Ires + Icap
    Itot = V/R2 + C * dV/dt

I also know V = Vcmd - Itot*R1
    Itot = (Vcmd-V)/R1

Therefore

(Vcmd-V)/R1 = V/R2 + C * dV/dt
    rearranging gives
    C*dV/dt = (Vcmd-V)/R1 - V/R

I like that, because it means as R1 drops to zero, dV/dt approaches infinity (which is what I would expect, i.e. V should approach Vcmd instantly) BUT if R1 did drop to zero, and V = Vcmd, dV/dt should be zero, right? But that equation says otherwise. Likewise, as R1 approaches infinity, I would have thought dV/dt would approach zero.

Am I doing something wrong here? Making an invalid assumption?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Not sure why you think there is no closed form solution -- looks like your equations are just fine. The only issue is the infinity you think you are getting with R1 --> 0. You cannot use an ideal voltage source with zero output impedance and an ideal capacitor together in series with a voltage step. The non-real zero output impedance of the voltage source is what is giving you the non-real infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook