De Moivre's theorem in Cartesian form.

In summary, your friend has been given a set of homework equations, but doesn't know how to solve them. It is possible to solve the equations using Euler's formula, but it is difficult to tell how much help to give if you don't have any information about how your friend has progressed.
goodluck90
Hey Guys,

I've been passed this from a friend to help them out, but I don't know much about it. So this is a bit of annoying first post... SORRY!

Homework Statement

if z = √2 + i, use de Moivre's theorem to find z^5 in Cartesian form.

AND.

Convert z = -8 + 8 √3 i to polar form.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempt - I know that's really cheeky, but it's not my work :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Um, have you asked your friend if they've attempted to apply the formulae they've been given? De Moivre's formula is [itex](\cos x+i\sin x)^n=\cos (nx)+i\sin(nx)[/itex]. The value for z that your friend has been given should be converted to work with the formula. Also, the second value for z can easily be converted to polar coordinates given a geometric understanding of complex numbers. I won't give the answers; it is difficult to tell how much to help if I have know information as to how your friend has progressed.

Just as an edit, let me just say that, given Euler's formula, converting back and forth between polar and cartesian form should be relatively trivial. If this doesn't make sense, let me know.

Last edited:
lineintegral1 said:
Um, have you asked your friend if they've attempted to apply the formulae they've been given? De Moivre's formula is [itex](\cos x+i\sin x)^n=\cos (nx)+i\sin(nx)[/itex]. The value for z that your friend has been given should be converted to work with the formula. Also, the second value for z can easily be converted to polar coordinates given a geometric understanding of complex numbers. I won't give the answers; it is difficult to tell how much to help if I have know information as to how your friend has progressed.

Just as an edit, let me just say that, given Euler's formula, converting back and forth between polar and cartesian form should be relatively trivial. If this doesn't make sense, let me know.

Yeah - I can understand how it doesn't help much - that's all the information I was given 'I can't do these two questions'.

1. What is De Moivre's theorem in Cartesian form?

De Moivre's theorem in Cartesian form is a mathematical theorem that allows us to raise a complex number to a power n and express the result in Cartesian form. It is given by (cos x + i sin x)^n = cos(nx) + i sin(nx), where x is a real number and i is the imaginary unit.

2. How is De Moivre's theorem in Cartesian form derived?

De Moivre's theorem in Cartesian form can be derived from the polar form of a complex number, which is given by z = r(cos x + i sin x), where r is the modulus and x is the argument of the complex number. By using the binomial theorem and simplifying the expression, we can obtain the Cartesian form of the theorem.

3. What is the significance of De Moivre's theorem in Cartesian form?

De Moivre's theorem in Cartesian form is significant because it allows us to easily calculate the powers of complex numbers. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving complex numbers, such as in electrical engineering and physics.

4. Can De Moivre's theorem be applied to all types of complex numbers?

Yes, De Moivre's theorem can be applied to all types of complex numbers, including pure imaginary numbers and complex numbers with both real and imaginary components.

5. Are there any limitations to using De Moivre's theorem in Cartesian form?

One limitation of De Moivre's theorem in Cartesian form is that it can only be applied to integer powers of complex numbers. It is not applicable for fractional or irrational powers. Additionally, it only works for Cartesian form and cannot be used for polar form or other forms of complex numbers.