1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DE word problem: fluid in a tank

1. Sep 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a tank used in certain hydrodynamic experiments. After one experiment the tank contains 200 L of a dye solution with a concentration of 1 g/L. To prepare for the next experiment, the tank is to be rinsed with fresh water flowing in at a rate of 2 L / min. The well stirred solution flowing out at the same rate. Find the time that will elapse before the concentration of dye in the tank reaches 1% of its original value.

2. Relevant equations

This is my first differential equations word problem, so I'm trying to learn how to do them. I don't need the answer to the 1% question; just some advice on what I did wrong below.

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]
    \frac{dQ}{dt} = -(\frac{2L}{min})(\frac{Q(t)}{200L}) = \frac{-1}{2} Q(t)
    [/itex]

Initial value: Q(0) = 1g/L

[itex]
    \frac{dQ}{dt} + \frac{1}{2} Q = 0
    [/itex]

[itex]
    \mu = e^{1/2*t}
    [/itex]

[itex]
    Q(t) = \frac{C}{e^{1/2*t}}
    [/itex]

At this point I solve for C using the initial value, and get Q(t) = 1 :( Where am I going wrong?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

For one thing, 2/200 = 1/100, not 1/2.

4. Sep 7, 2013 #3
    I fixed that, thanks. But regardless I end up in the same situation, with c/ e^... = 1. What else can I try?

5. Sep 7, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Initial means t=0, so initial value means Q(0)=1. Remember C is a constant. It can't depend on t.

6. Sep 7, 2013 #5
    When I solve for: 1= C/ e^(1/100 t)
    I still get 1 as a solution... Plugging in 0 for t to satisfy the initial condition Q(0)=1g/L

Thanks

7. Sep 7, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You found ##Q(t) = C e^{-t/100}##. That's fine. The problem is that you're solving for C by saying Q(t)=1, but that's not true for all t. The equation you want to solve is Q(0)=1.

8. Sep 7, 2013 #7
    That simply means I plug 0 for t, and get 1=1 right? I must be confused...

9. Sep 7, 2013 #8
    I guess i understand....

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted