Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dear Physics Forum,I have currently been reading Charles Carrolls

1. Jun 17, 2011 #1
    Dear Physics Forum,

I have currently been reading Charles Carrolls Chaos Theory which uses the experiments of MIT meteorologist Edward Lorenz to develop linear relationships between speed and distance which has led me to a few questions that I’d like to ask.

I wanted to know if it is possible that the numbers in a final time up to 3 decimal places can indicate A. Class, B. Speed, C. Stamina and whether there has been any scientific investigations that prove this.

There must be more to time than just a number, I’m particularly putting this into context
    within times recorded through athletes both human and equine rather than just the everyday number on your clock.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2011 #2
    Re: Time

Can you elaborate a bit more on Carolls' work? Does he claim that the time taken in a race tells us something more than speed?

Right off the top of my head I can tell you that time is relative to the observer's frame of reference. A race horse's time as he runs away slows down as compared to a the time for a person sitting in the stands.

It makes very little difference, though, because that horse would need to run at a velocity close to the speed of light to make the time dilation noticeable. I'd bet on that horse! :biggrin:

Jagella

4. Jun 18, 2011 #3
    Re: Time

Could you clarify this, especially the middle paragraph? There's a whole lot of different things happening together in this post: chaos theory, meteorology, speed, distance, numbers, time, precision, athletics, people, horses. It's all going too fast for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook