Dear Physics Forum,I have currently been reading Charles Carrolls

In summary, Charles Carrolls Chaos Theory uses the experiments of MIT meteorologist Edward Lorenz to develop linear relationships between speed and distance. This has led him to a few questions regarding the possibility of the numbers in a final time indicating class, speed, stamina, and whether there has been any scientific investigations to back this up. It is relativistically possible for the time taken in a race to slow down as compared to the time of a person sitting in the stands, but this would need a racehorse to travel close to the speed of light.
Futureismine
Dear Physics Forum,

I have currently been reading Charles Carrolls Chaos Theory which uses the experiments of MIT meteorologist Edward Lorenz to develop linear relationships between speed and distance which has led me to a few questions that I’d like to ask.

I wanted to know if it is possible that the numbers in a final time up to 3 decimal places can indicate A. Class, B. Speed, C. Stamina and whether there has been any scientific investigations that prove this.

There must be more to time than just a number, I’m particularly putting this into context
within times recorded through athletes both human and equine rather than just the everyday number on your clock.

Physics news on Phys.org

Futureismine said:
Dear Physics Forum,

I have currently been reading Charles Carrolls Chaos Theory which uses the experiments of MIT meteorologist Edward Lorenz to develop linear relationships between speed and distance which has led me to a few questions that I’d like to ask.

I wanted to know if it is possible that the numbers in a final time up to 3 decimal places can indicate A. Class, B. Speed, C. Stamina and whether there has been any scientific investigations that prove this.

There must be more to time than just a number, I’m particularly putting this into context
within times recorded through athletes both human and equine rather than just the everyday number on your clock.

Can you elaborate a bit more on Carolls' work? Does he claim that the time taken in a race tells us something more than speed?

Right off the top of my head I can tell you that time is relative to the observer's frame of reference. A race horse's time as he runs away slows down as compared to a the time for a person sitting in the stands.

It makes very little difference, though, because that horse would need to run at a velocity close to the speed of light to make the time dilation noticeable. I'd bet on that horse! :biggrin:

Jagella

Futureismine said:
Dear Physics Forum,

Could you clarify this, especially the middle paragraph? There's a whole lot of different things happening together in this post: chaos theory, meteorology, speed, distance, numbers, time, precision, athletics, people, horses. It's all going too fast for me.

1. What is Charles Carrolls?

Charles Carrolls is a book written by J. Kent Layton, a prominent figure in the field of historical maritime research. The book focuses on the life and contributions of Charles Carroll, a scientist and astronomer who played a significant role in the American Revolution.

2. Why is Charles Carroll important in the field of science?

Charles Carroll was not only a scientist and astronomer, but he was also a statesman and a signer of the Declaration of Independence. He made significant contributions to the fields of astronomy, mathematics, and surveying, and his work helped shape the early development of science in America.

3. What topics are covered in the book Charles Carroll?

The book covers a wide range of topics related to Charles Carroll's life and work, including his education, his involvement in the American Revolution, his scientific achievements, and his relationships with other prominent figures of the time.

4. Is Charles Carroll still relevant in modern science?

While some of Charles Carroll's scientific theories may have been disproven or outdated, his contributions to the field of astronomy and his role in shaping American science cannot be denied. His legacy continues to be studied and appreciated by historians and scientists alike.

5. Why should I read Charles Carroll?

Reading Charles Carroll can provide valuable insights into the life and work of a lesser-known but influential figure in American history and science. It also offers a unique perspective on the development of science in America during the 18th century. Additionally, the book is well-researched and written, making it an enjoyable read for anyone interested in science, history, or biography.