Declarative programming: useful for a physics/EEng double major?

In summary, the conversation discusses a course on Declarative Programming that covers functional and logic programming, as well as different programming languages. The speakers suggest that the course would be useful for problem-solving, but there may be other more useful ways to spend time. They also mention that the chemistry course may not be as mind-expanding, but could be more directly applicable to physics and EE. The speakers agree that taking the programming course would be beneficial for increasing computational fluency and expanding one's mind.
rabbitweed
Hi everyone, been reading stuff here for a while but first time poster:)

I am first year at university going for a Physics/Electrical Engineering. Looking at my options this year and I came across this paper.

159.202 Declarative Programming (15 credits)

Basic functional programming: functions, pattern matching, types, recursion, list processing. Basic logic programming: clauses, recursion, structures, arithmetic, list processing. Programming language concepts. Programming paradigms and language selection.

http://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/study/programme-course-and-paper-search/paper.cfm?paper_code=159202&paper_offering_id=1147238&study_year=2009

Would this be useful for solving problems in undergrad physics/EE? I would be taking this course over "Chemistry and the Material World".

The two textbooks are for Haskell and Prolog, so I am assuming those are the languages taught.

PS: apologies if this is the wrong forum. I'm a noob after all:P

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do I think they would be useful to your education? Probably so. It will be a problem-solving course, most likely, and as such will make you think about problems in new ways. As far as how useful it will be down the road... eh? There are probably more useful ways of spending your time.

The chemistry course will most likely be the opposite... you probably already know much of what it will teach you, and as such won't be the most mind-expanding course you could take. It won't make you think "outside the box". On the other hand, it probably deals with material that you will have much more occasion to use directly.

I'd take the programming class, since an EE/CE will probably work with an CS/SE or two in their career, and exposure to different programming paradigms will increase your computational fluency.

I agree with AUMathTutor. Haskell and prolog are two very interesting computer languages, but both are very different (i) from each other and (ii) from Java, C++, Fortran and the usual bunch of suspects. You may find it difficult to link what you learn immediately with physics or EE, but it looks like a red hot computer science course. Do it! Expand your mind... Warning -- if it's as good as it sounds then you might want to change your major from physics to CS, so it could be very useful down the line!

What is declarative programming?

Declarative programming is a programming paradigm where the programmer specifies what needs to be done, rather than how to do it. It focuses on the logical structure of the program, rather than the control flow.

How is declarative programming useful for a physics/EEng double major?

Declarative programming is useful for a physics/EEng double major because it allows for the creation of complex simulations and models in a clear and concise manner. It also allows for easier collaboration and maintenance of code, which is important for research in these fields.

What are the advantages of using declarative programming in scientific research?

Declarative programming offers several advantages in scientific research, including improved readability and maintainability of code, increased efficiency in creating complex simulations, and easier collaboration among researchers.

What are some common languages used for declarative programming in scientific research?

Some common languages used for declarative programming in scientific research include Prolog, Lisp, and Haskell. These languages are known for their ability to handle complex logical operations and data structures.

Are there any potential limitations to using declarative programming in scientific research?

While declarative programming has many benefits, it may not be suitable for all types of scientific research. Some tasks may require more control over the execution of the program, which can be difficult to achieve with declarative programming. Additionally, there may be a learning curve for researchers who are more familiar with imperative programming languages.