1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Declarative programming: useful for a physics/EEng double major?

1. Jun 26, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone, been reading stuff here for a while but first time poster:)

I am first year at university going for a Physics/Electrical Engineering. Looking at my options this year and I came across this paper.

http://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/study/programme-course-and-paper-search/paper.cfm?paper_code=159202&paper_offering_id=1147238&study_year=2009 [Broken]

Would this be useful for solving problems in undergrad physics/EE? I would be taking this course over "Chemistry and the Material World".

The two text books are for Haskell and Prolog, so I am assuming those are the languages taught.

PS: apologies if this is the wrong forum. I'm a noob after all:P

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2009 #2
    Do I think they would be useful to your education? Probably so. It will be a problem-solving course, most likely, and as such will make you think about problems in new ways. As far as how useful it will be down the road... eh? There are probably more useful ways of spending your time.

The chemistry course will most likely be the opposite... you probably already know much of what it will teach you, and as such won't be the most mind-expanding course you could take. It won't make you think "outside the box". On the other hand, it probably deals with material that you will have much more occasion to use directly.

I'd take the programming class, since an EE/CE will probably work with an CS/SE or two in their career, and exposure to different programming paradigms will increase your computational fluency.

4. Jun 27, 2009 #3
    I agree with AUMathTutor. Haskell and prolog are two very interesting computer languages, but both are very different (i) from each other and (ii) from Java, C++, Fortran and the usual bunch of suspects. You may find it difficult to link what you learn immediately with physics or EE, but it looks like a red hot computer science course. Do it! Expand your mind... Warning -- if it's as good as it sounds then you might want to change your major from physics to CS, so it could be very useful down the line!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook