Decomposing electromagnetic waves

In summary, the conversation is about the representation of waves using spatial and temporal frequencies. Griffiths states that any wave can be expressed as a sum of plane waves, while another book uses a sum over temporal frequencies for the H-field. The question is whether there is a difference between expressing a wave in terms of spatial or temporal components.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

In Griffiths it is stated that any possible wave can be written as a sum of plane waves

[tex]
f(z,t)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{A(k)e^{i(kz-\omega t)}dk}
[/tex]

This is a sum over spatial frequencies. In another book I have, they write the H-field as

[tex]
H(r, t) = \sum_n{C_n H_n(r)\exp (-i\omega_n(t-t_0)}
[/tex]

where Cn are the amplitudes. This is a sum over temporal frequencies (i.e. ω, not k) of monochromatic waves. What is the difference between expressing an arbitrary wave in terms of frequency and spatial components? Is the answer that there is no difference, since (because of dispersion), when I vary k I also automatically vary ω and vice versa?Niles.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equationsf(z,t)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{A(k)e^{i(kz-\omega t)}dk}H(r, t) = \sum_n{C_n H_n(r)\exp (-i\omega_n(t-t_0)}The Attempt at a SolutionNo attempt at a solution has been made.

What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that is generated by oscillating electric and magnetic fields. They can travel through a vacuum or a medium and are responsible for phenomena such as light, radio waves, and x-rays.

How do electromagnetic waves decompose?

Electromagnetic waves do not decompose in the traditional sense. However, they can be broken down into smaller components based on their wavelength and frequency, which determines their energy and how they interact with matter.

What factors affect the decomposition of electromagnetic waves?

The two main factors that affect the decomposition of electromagnetic waves are the medium through which they are traveling and the properties of the waves themselves. For example, different materials can absorb or reflect certain wavelengths, and the energy of the waves can also determine how they interact with matter.

Can electromagnetic waves be re-composed?

Yes, electromagnetic waves can be re-composed through the process of interference. When two or more waves overlap, they can either amplify or cancel each other out, resulting in a new wave with a different amplitude and frequency.

What are the applications of decomposing electromagnetic waves?

The decomposition of electromagnetic waves is crucial in many fields, including telecommunications, remote sensing, and medical imaging. By understanding how different materials interact with specific wavelengths, scientists and engineers can develop technologies that utilize electromagnetic waves for various purposes.