Decomposing Functions: Finding the Pattern

In summary, to find the function f such that f o g = h, you need to decompose h into two parts: one being g and the other being f. Start by completing the square in h(x) and then manipulating it to resemble g(x). This will give you the relationship between g(x) and h(x) that you can use to find the function f.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

If [itex]g(x) = 2x + 1[/itex] and [itex]h(x) = 4x^2 +4x + 7 [/itex], find a function f such that
[itex]f o g = h[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know I have to decompose h into two parts: the give one being g, and the other f. But I can't seem to perceive any relation between g and h, how can I find the pattern?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

If [itex]g(x) = 2x + 1[/itex] and [itex]h(x) = 4x^2 +4x + 7 [/itex], find a function f such that
[itex]f o g = h[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know I have to decompose h into two parts: the give one being g, and the other f. But I can't seem to perceive any relation between g and h, how can I find the pattern?

To start, complete the square in 4x^2 + 4x + 7. You might find the relationship you need after doing this.

Hi Bashyboy!

Here's how you can start.

By common sense(and looking at the question carefully :eek:), you'll see f(x) should be a quadratic equation. Assume it to be any general quadratic equation with variable coefficients.

Now you need to the function f(x) such that,

[itex]f(g(x)) = h(x)[/itex]

Mark44 said:
To start, complete the square in 4x^2 + 4x + 7. You might find the relationship you need after doing this.

I completed the square, but I still don't seem to see a connection.

As Infinitum says, f must clearly be a quadratic, say [itex]f(x)= ax^2+ bx+ c[/itex] so that [itex]f(2x+1)= a(2x+1)^2+ b(2x+1)+ c= 4x^2+ 4x+ 7[/itex]. Multiply the left side out and you have three equations for a, b, and c.

Mark44's suggestion, completing the square, works with a little "massaging".
[itex]4x^2+ 4x+ 7= 4(x^2+ x+ (1/4)- (1/4))+ 7= 4(x^2+ x+ 1/4)+ 6= 4(x+ 1/2)^2+ 6[/itex]

Now, 2(x+ 1/2)= 2x+ 1 so we have to, somehow, get a "2" into that square. We do that, of course, by multiplying that 4 back into the square:
[itex]4x^2+ 4x+ 7= (2x+1)^2+ 6[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Bashyboy said:
But I can't seem to perceive any relation between g and h, how can I find the pattern?

Ask yourself how you can turn g(x) into h(x), what do you need to do to g(x) to turn it into h(x)? Whenever you do something to g(x) you an interpret it as composing g with some function f, for example if you want to add 1 to g(x) you can mathematically express this idea as (fog)(x) = (2x + 1) + 1 & then use this information to find f. So what does this say about the function f? It has to be the function f(x) = x + 1 so that you have (fog)(x) = f(g(x)) = [g(x)] + 1 = (2x + 1) + 1. Now do whatever you need to do to turn g(x) into the h(x) given in your problem & then use what you've done to find f.

What is decomposition of functions?

Decomposition of functions is the process of breaking down a complex function into simpler and more manageable parts. It involves separating a function into smaller functions that can be easier to analyze and understand.

Why is decomposition of functions important?

Decomposition of functions allows for a better understanding of how a complex function works. By breaking it down into smaller parts, it becomes easier to identify patterns and relationships between the different parts of the function.

What are the steps involved in decomposing a function?

The steps involved in decomposing a function include identifying the main function, breaking it down into smaller functions, determining the relationships between the smaller functions, and then putting them back together to form the original function.

What are the benefits of decomposing a function?

Decomposition of functions can help simplify complex problems and make them more manageable. It also allows for easier analysis and manipulation of the function, which can be useful in solving equations and making predictions.

Can you give an example of decomposition of functions?

One example of decomposition of functions is breaking down a quadratic function into its linear and quadratic components. This can help in understanding the behavior of the function and finding its roots.