Defibrillator discharges. need to find time constant

In summary, a defibrillator uses a capacitor to deliver a large current to a person needing heart stimulation. The capacitance used is 60microfarads and the resistor it discharges through is 220 ohms. The defibrillator is charged up to 5 kiloVolts and it is discharged through a patient for 1.0 millisecond. The fraction of the time constant is 1.0 millisecond and the charge left on the capacitor after the 1.0 millisecond is 220 Ω*60 10-6 F=1.32 10-2 soh. Average current delivered to the patient is 220 Ω*1.0 millisecond=240 Ω.
gujrichick
A defibrillator uses a capacitor to deliver a large current to a person needing heart stimulation. Assume that the capacitance used is 60microfarads and the resistor it discharges through is 220 ohms. the defibrillator is charged up to 5 kiloVolts and it is discharged through a patient for 1.0 millisecond.

a) What fraction of the time constant is 1.0 millisecond?
b) How much charge is left on the capacitor after the 1.0 millisecond?
c) Find the total charge delivered to the patient.
d) Determine the average current delivered to the patient.'

I used time constant=R*C to find the time constant but it comes out to be smaller than 1.0ms, which does not make sense. I just need to know which equations to use to get the answers right.

Please help. And Thanks to whoever helps!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

gujrichick said:
A defibrillator uses a capacitor to deliver a large current to a person needing heart stimulation. Assume that the capacitance used is 60microfarads and the resistor it discharges through is 220 ohms. the defibrillator is charged up to 5 kiloVolts and it is discharged through a patient for 1.0 millisecond.

a) What fraction of the time constant is 1.0 millisecond?

I used time constant=R*C to find the time constant but it comes out to be smaller than 1.0ms …

Hi gujrichick! Welcome to PF! :smile:

What did you get for the time constant? :confused:

Hi,

I got 1.32*10^-5 seconds as my time constant.. and I don't understand how I would get a fraction from that or how that would help me answer the other questions.

Hi gujrichick! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
gujrichick said:
Hi,

I got 1.32*10^-5 seconds as my time constant.. and I don't understand how I would get a fraction from that or how that would help me answer the other questions.

I get 220 Ω times 60 10-6 F = 1.32 10-2 s

oh! I know what I did wrong now, I thought that micro was -9 instead of -6.
Thanks!

but which equations should I use for the other parts? I think for part c I can use C=Q/V and find the total charge. and for d I can do V=IR. But what about part b? Do I use Q=CVe^(-t/RC)? And plug in 1ms for t?

Related to Defibrillator discharges. need to find time constant

1. What is a defibrillator discharge?

A defibrillator discharge is a sudden, high-energy electrical shock delivered to the heart in order to restore a normal heart rhythm. It is typically used in emergency situations when a person is experiencing a life-threatening heart rhythm, such as ventricular fibrillation.

2. How does a defibrillator discharge work?

A defibrillator discharge works by delivering an electrical shock to the heart, which interrupts the chaotic electrical activity and allows the heart to reset itself and resume a normal rhythm. The shock is delivered through pads or paddles placed on the chest, and is timed to coincide with the natural electrical cycle of the heart.

3. What is the time constant in relation to defibrillator discharges?

The time constant in relation to defibrillator discharges refers to the amount of time it takes for the electrical current to reach its maximum value during the defibrillation process. It is an important factor in determining the effectiveness of the shock and ensuring that the heart is able to respond appropriately.

4. How is the time constant calculated?

The time constant is calculated by dividing the initial energy level of the defibrillator discharge by the peak current that is delivered to the heart. This calculation helps to determine the optimal energy level and duration of the shock in order to achieve the desired result.

5. Why is understanding the time constant important in defibrillator discharges?

Understanding the time constant is important in defibrillator discharges because it helps to ensure that the shock delivered is effective and safe for the patient. By calculating the time constant, the appropriate energy level and duration of the shock can be determined, which is crucial in successfully restoring a normal heart rhythm and saving a person's life.