1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Defining the continuity and differentiability of multi variate functio

1. Jun 6, 2013 #1
    Let f: R2-->R be defined by f(x,y) = xy2/(x2+y2 if (x,y) ≠ 0, f(0,0) = 0

a) is f continuous on R2?
    b) is f differentiable on R2?
    c) Show that all the dirctional derivatives of f at (0.0 exist and compute them

Attempt:

a) I had an idea to show that multivariate functions are continuous, but now I think it's faulty. I did this:

xy2/(x2+y2 ≤ |xy2|/|(x2+y2| < |xy2|

now taking the lim (x,y)-->(0,0) of |xy2| is 0 as such the function is also continuous.

But looking at a similar example from my notes where the only difference in the function was:

xy2/(x2+y6

We had shown that this was not continuous. So now I'm not so sure if the method I used was valid.

b) I'm a little stumped on showing differentiability in this setting, it doesn't seem to involve using the definition directly because of all the possible paths. So what other option may I have?

This is all in terms of discussing the trouble spot. i.e approaching (0,0)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2013 #2
    Find the limit when ##x_n = y_n = \frac 1 n ##, and when ##x_n = y^2_n = \frac 1 n ##.

4. Jun 6, 2013 #3
    I dont follow. By doing that i get different solutions taking n-->0.

5. Jun 6, 2013 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

So you have :

##f(x,y) = \frac{xy^2}{x^2 + y^2}## if ##(x,y) ≠ (0,0)##
    ##f(x,y) = 0## if ##(x,y) = (0,0)##

For part a) where you're asked if ##f## is continuous, this should ring bells about the ##ε - δ## definition if you want to show it rigorously. Notice you can already tell that the function is continuous everywhere ( since it is a quotient of polynomials and polynomials are continuous ) except at (0,0). So using the definition with the information we're given :

##\forall ε > 0, \exists δ > 0 \space | \space 0 < |(x,y) - (0,0)| < δ \Rightarrow |\frac{xy^2}{x^2 + y^2} - 0| < ε##

So now you want to massage the expression into a suitable form :

##|f(x,y) - L| = \frac{|x|y^2}{x^2 + y^2}##

Now, using the fact that ##|x| < δ## and ##|y| < δ## you should be able to continue.

6. Jun 6, 2013 #5
    n was supposed to be integer, going to infinity. Does that make (x, y) go to zero?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted