Defining the continuity and differentiability of multi variate functio

In summary, we have a function f(x,y) = xy2/(x2+y2) that is continuous everywhere except at (0,0). To show continuity at (0,0), we can use the ε-δ definition and manipulate the expression to get a suitable form for the limit.
trap101
Let f: R2-->R be defined by f(x,y) = xy2/(x2+y2 if (x,y) ≠ 0, f(0,0) = 0

a) is f continuous on R2?
b) is f differentiable on R2?
c) Show that all the dirctional derivatives of f at (0.0 exist and compute them

Attempt:

a) I had an idea to show that multivariate functions are continuous, but now I think it's faulty. I did this:

xy2/(x2+y2 ≤ |xy2|/|(x2+y2| < |xy2|

now taking the lim (x,y)-->(0,0) of |xy2| is 0 as such the function is also continuous.

But looking at a similar example from my notes where the only difference in the function was:

xy2/(x2+y6

We had shown that this was not continuous. So now I'm not so sure if the method I used was valid.

b) I'm a little stumped on showing differentiability in this setting, it doesn't seem to involve using the definition directly because of all the possible paths. So what other option may I have?

This is all in terms of discussing the trouble spot. i.e approaching (0,0)

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the limit when ##x_n = y_n = \frac 1 n ##, and when ##x_n = y^2_n = \frac 1 n ##.

I don't follow. By doing that i get different solutions taking n-->0.

trap101 said:
Let f: R2-->R be defined by f(x,y) = xy2/(x2+y2 if (x,y) ≠ 0, f(0,0) = 0

a) is f continuous on R2?
b) is f differentiable on R2?
c) Show that all the dirctional derivatives of f at (0.0 exist and compute them

Attempt:

a) I had an idea to show that multivariate functions are continuous, but now I think it's faulty. I did this:

xy2/(x2+y2 ≤ |xy2|/|(x2+y2| < |xy2|

now taking the lim (x,y)-->(0,0) of |xy2| is 0 as such the function is also continuous.

But looking at a similar example from my notes where the only difference in the function was:

xy2/(x2+y6

We had shown that this was not continuous. So now I'm not so sure if the method I used was valid.

b) I'm a little stumped on showing differentiability in this setting, it doesn't seem to involve using the definition directly because of all the possible paths. So what other option may I have?

This is all in terms of discussing the trouble spot. i.e approaching (0,0)

So you have :

##f(x,y) = \frac{xy^2}{x^2 + y^2}## if ##(x,y) ≠ (0,0)##
##f(x,y) = 0## if ##(x,y) = (0,0)##

For part a) where you're asked if ##f## is continuous, this should ring bells about the ##ε - δ## definition if you want to show it rigorously. Notice you can already tell that the function is continuous everywhere ( since it is a quotient of polynomials and polynomials are continuous ) except at (0,0). So using the definition with the information we're given :

##\forall ε > 0, \exists δ > 0 \space | \space 0 < |(x,y) - (0,0)| < δ \Rightarrow |\frac{xy^2}{x^2 + y^2} - 0| < ε##

So now you want to massage the expression into a suitable form :

##|f(x,y) - L| = \frac{|x|y^2}{x^2 + y^2}##

Now, using the fact that ##|x| < δ## and ##|y| < δ## you should be able to continue.

trap101 said:
I don't follow. By doing that i get different solutions taking n-->0.

n was supposed to be integer, going to infinity. Does that make (x, y) go to zero?

What is the definition of continuity for multi variate functions?

The continuity of a multi variate function means that the function is unbroken and has no gaps or jumps in its graph. In other words, the function can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

How is continuity of a multi variate function different from continuity of a single variable function?

The continuity of a multi variate function is different from that of a single variable function because in multi variate functions, there are multiple independent variables that can affect the output. This means that the function must be continuous in all directions, not just along a single axis.

What is the definition of differentiability for multi variate functions?

A multi variate function is differentiable if it has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the function is smooth and has a slope at every point, allowing for the calculation of a tangent plane.

What is the relationship between continuity and differentiability of multi variate functions?

In general, if a multi variate function is differentiable, it is also continuous. However, the opposite is not always true. There are cases where a function may be continuous but not differentiable, such as at sharp corners or cusps in the graph.

How can we determine the continuity and differentiability of multi variate functions?

To determine the continuity and differentiability of a multi variate function, we can use various techniques such as the limit definition of continuity and the partial derivative tests for differentiability. We can also visually analyze the graph for any breaks or sharp turns that may indicate a lack of continuity or differentiability.