Definite Integral (Square Root)

In summary: The integral becomes\int\limits_0^{20} {\sqrt {1 - \frac{{{x^2}}}{{400}}} \;dx = \int\limits_0^{\pi /2} {20\cos \theta \sqrt {1 - {{\sin }^2}\theta } \;\;d\theta } }In summary, the conversation discusses a definite integral between x=0 and x=20, and the asker wonders how to integrate with a square root. They are reminded of using trigonometric substitution and given x=20sin(\theta) as a starting point. They then discuss how to transform the limits of integration and solve the integral using trigonometric substitution. The ask
blueparukia

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP184619c56eg84971107d00001e292h4340heh8g4?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=35&w=135&h=53

It is a definite integral between x=0 and x=20.

I forget how to integrate with a square root. Do you just change it to a power of a half and then integrate it?

Been a while since I've done this,

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would use a trigonometric substitution for this one.

Let [tex]x=20 sin(\theta)[/tex]

Not quite understanding. Since this is a definite integral, if I let x=20sin(theta), do I then sub in 0 and 20 as theta?

There doesn't seem to be any trigonmetric substitution in the textbook? Is there anyway that formula could be arranged to fit with the short table of standard integrals?

Last edited:
Well if [tex]x=20 sin(\theta)[/tex], then [tex]\theta = sin^{-1}(\frac{x}{20})[/tex]. x=0 is transformed to [tex]\theta=0[/tex] and x=20 is transformed to [tex]\theta=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex].

[tex]\int\limits_0^{20} {\sqrt {1 - \frac{{{x^2}}}{{400}}} \;dx = \int\limits_0^{\pi /2} {20\cos \theta \sqrt {1 - {{\sin }^2}\theta } \;\;d\theta } } [/tex]

Can you work from there?

Im sure that if you looked at a table of standard integrals you would find one that can be used to solve this.

I can get the answer through trigonometric substitution, the problem is it isn't in my textbook so therefore not part of the syllabus.

I can integrate it fine by myself if I know the rule. All I've got is some basic substitution stuff (chain rule) and standard integrals, but I can't find a rule.

I thought if I rearranged the equation from:
Sqrt(16^2 (1 - x^2/20^2))

To:
4/5 sqrt(400-x^2)

You could integrate that to:

(x Sqrt[a^2 - x^2])/2 - (a^2 ArcCos[x/a])/2

where a=20 and x=20 or 0.

But that doesn't seem to work, especially since I know the answer to this.

All I need is to get the working out, so just the formula.

(P.S How does Latex work on this)

Nevermind, solved.

Last edited:
For information about the Latex used on this forum, check out this link:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386951

Last edited by a moderator:
The limits of integration, in the original integral, are in terms of the variable in that integral: x= 0 and x= 20. If you then use [itex]x= 20 sin(\theta)[/itex] then you have [itex]x= 0= 20 sin(\theta)[/itex], then [itex]sin(\theta)= 0[/itex] so [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] and [itex]x= 20= 20sin(\theta)[/itex], then [itex]sin(\theta)= 1[/itex] so [itex]\theta= \pi/2[/itex].

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve or the signed area between a curve and the x-axis in a specific interval. It is represented by the symbol ∫f(x)dx, where f(x) is the function and dx represents the infinitesimal change in x.

2. How is a definite integral related to a square root function?

A definite integral can be used to find the area under a curve of a square root function in a specific interval. This is because the definite integral is essentially adding up the areas of infinitely many rectangles under the curve, which can approximate the area under the curve of a square root function.

3. What is the process for solving a definite integral involving a square root?

The process for solving a definite integral involving a square root is to first rewrite the integral in terms of a new variable, such as u, using substitution. Then, simplify the integrand using algebraic techniques. After that, use the power rule or u-substitution to integrate the function. Finally, substitute the original variable back in and evaluate the integral using the given limits of integration.

4. Can a definite integral involving a square root have negative values?

Yes, a definite integral involving a square root can have negative values. This is because the definite integral not only calculates the area under the curve, but also takes into account the direction of the area. If the curve dips below the x-axis, the area will be negative.

5. What are some real-life applications of definite integrals involving square roots?

Definite integrals involving square roots have various real-life applications, such as calculating volumes of objects with curved surfaces, determining work done by a variable force, finding center of mass of an object, and calculating fluid pressure in a container. They are also used in physics, economics, and engineering to model and solve real-world problems.