Definition of arc length on manifolds without parametrization

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
36 replies · 16K views
and [itex]\Vert f\Vert_{\infty}[/itex] is the measure theory notation for the minimum real number K>0 such that K>|f| almost everywhere, also known as the essential supremum of |f|. Must be what he means.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm very sorry for you lost your detailed post. Next time don't forget to copy&paste your text somewhere before pressing the preview or submit button. Thank you for repeating it shortly.
 
mma said:
It is shown that sup(||grad ax||) = 1 (by local geodesic calculation)

I thought originally that this "local geodesic calculation" is trivial. But now I see that I don't really know how is it.

It is clear that taking a short geodesic [tex]\gamma(s)[/tex] starting from a(x) and parametrized by its arc length, then

[tex]d(x,y) = a_x(y) - a_x(x) = \int_0^{d(x,y)}\dot{\gamma}(a_x)|_{\gamma(s)} ds[/tex]

and from this follows [tex]\dot{\gamma}(a_x) = 1[/tex].

But this means only that [tex]g(\mathrm{grad}(a_x), \dot{\gamma}) =1[/tex], and of course we know that [tex]\Vert\dot{\gamma}\Vert[/tex] = 1.

But how follows [tex]\Vert\mathrm{grad}(a_x)\Vert = 1[/tex] from this?
 
I suspect that [tex]\mathrm{grad}(a_x) = \dot{\gamma}[/tex].

Here [tex]a_x(y) := d(x,y)[/tex], the distance between x and y (I forgot to mention this in my previous post), and [tex]\gamma[/tex] is a geodesic through x, parametrized by its arc length)

So, my question is: how can I prove this?
 
Last edited:
mma said:
It is clear that taking a short geodesic [tex]\gamma(s)[/tex] starting from a(x)

Of course strarting from x and not from a(x). Sorry for the mistyping.
 
mma said:
I suspect that [tex]\mathrm{grad}(a_x) = \dot{\gamma}[/tex].

Here [tex]a_x(y) := d(x,y)[/tex], the distance between x and y (I forgot to mention this in my previous post), and [tex]\gamma[/tex] is a geodesic through x, parametrized by its arc length)

So, my question is: how can I prove this?

Because the level sets of the distance function are perpedicular to the gradient vector of it, and these level sets are n-1-dimensional submanifolds, it would be enough to prove that the geodesics passing through x are always perpedicular to the level sets of the [tex]d(x,y)[/tex] distance function. Could anybody prove this?
 
Last edited:
mma said:
it would be enough to prove that the geodesics passing through x are always perpedicular to the level sets of the [tex]d(x,y)[/tex] distance function.

Bingo! It's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss%27s_lemma_(Riemannian_geometry)"
 
Last edited by a moderator: