Exploring the Concept of Negative Drag: Myth or Reality?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "negative drag" and whether it is a valid term. It is concluded that this term is not accurate and there is no reason to use it. The conversation also touches on the relationship between thrust and drag, stating that they are both forces but have different definitions and cannot be considered the same thing.
mista_chewey
my first post but i had to get this out before i explode!
this has been bugging me to hell

on this other forum i visit. there are a bunch of people insisting on "negative drag"
is there such a thing?

from what i understand drag is a force acting on an object moving through a fluid.
and thrust is a force propelling the object through the liquid.

so negative drag would be a force enacted on the object by the fluid in the direction of movement. so the object will be propelling itself wouldn't it?

there is also another statement that says "thrust IS negative drag"
thrust is constantly trying to over come drag so how can they be the same thing?

so is it the same thing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Negative drag is not a proper term. The word "drag" has a very specific meaning associated with it along with a mathematical/engineering definition. The engineering definition alone prevents the usage in the way that you are saying. There is absolutely no reason to use a term like "negative drag." Would any of these people say something like "you need to negative push to open the door?"

They are the same thing in that they are both forces, but that is the extent of their similarities.

so my understanding of thrust and drag is correct right?

What is Negative Drag?

Negative drag, also known as negative aerodynamic force, is a phenomenon in which an object moving through a fluid experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion. This can happen when the object is moving at high speeds or when the fluid has unique properties, such as being highly compressible.

How is Negative Drag different from regular drag?

Negative drag is different from regular drag in that it acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, while regular drag acts in the same direction. Negative drag can also occur at higher speeds and is not always present, unlike regular drag which is always present when an object moves through a fluid.

What causes Negative Drag?

Negative drag is typically caused by the shock waves that form around an object moving at high speeds in a fluid. These shock waves create areas of high pressure in front of the object and low pressure behind it, resulting in a force that pushes the object in the opposite direction of its motion.

Can Negative Drag be beneficial?

Yes, negative drag can be beneficial in certain situations. For example, in supersonic flight, negative drag can be used to reduce the amount of heat generated by friction and reduce the amount of fuel needed. It can also be used in the design of high-speed vehicles, such as rockets and race cars, to increase their performance.

Is Negative Drag the same as Negative Lift?

No, negative drag and negative lift are two different phenomena. Negative drag occurs when an object moves through a fluid at high speeds, while negative lift occurs when an object is lifted or pushed upwards in a fluid, such as an airplane wing. Negative lift is typically used for flight, while negative drag is used to reduce drag and improve performance.