1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of sequence and series

1. Sep 26, 2011 #1
    Hi!
    While studying sequence and series, I've gotten some misunderstandings in the definitions of sequence and series.
    What I know about the definitions of sequence and series is as follows below
    ; a sequence of field of real numbers is defined as a function mapping of the set of all positive integers into the field , and a series of real field is defined to be a sequence whose range consists of partial sums [itex]\sum[/itex] [itex]^{k}_{n=1}[/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex].
    But, in some other books, the definitions of them are a little different from what i've written as above. I mean that in some books, they give a function from { k[itex]\in[/itex] Z : k[itex]\geq[/itex]k[itex]_{0}[/itex] for an integer k[itex]_{0}[/itex]} into the real field as a definition of a sequence.
    What i'd like to ask you in this situation is whether there're no problems even if I use the different definitions of a sequence when I prove all theorems relating with the sequence ;
    for example, Bolzano-weierstrass theorem, additivity of limit of two sequences, etc.

Furthermore, when we test the convergence of a series of some sepecial kinds, as you know, we usually use root, ratio tests. At first, I've learned that this tests are used when the sequence of a series runs from 1 to infinity. But, I recently found in some books that those methods are also used in determining the convergence of series running from some integer k[itex]_{0}[/itex] into infinity. That means the sequence of the series starts from the integer k[itex]_{0}[/itex].I wanna ask you if the root or ratio test can be used even in dealing with the series whose sequence runs from a integer k[itex]_{0}[/itex]. If so, I also ask you the rigorous definition of series of this kind [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{infinity}_{n=k_{0}}[/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex].

Thank you for reading my long questions.
    I'll wait for your answers!!!
    God bless you! Have a nice day!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Whether you start your sequence at 0, 1 or any other positive integer k0 does not matter. It is an easy exercise to prove that they are equivalent (basically finding a bijection is enough - and the bijection is just shifting the index by k0).

You can define an "infinite" series as the limit of the partial sums:
    [tex]\sum_{n = 0}^\infty a_n = \lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n = 0}^N a_n[/tex]

4. Sep 26, 2011 #3
    Do you mean that I can reach to the same theorem (but the definition of sequence in the theorem is a little different) concerned with a sequence even though I use different definitions of a sequence ??

In the above equation, does the symbol N run from 0? or 1?

5. Sep 26, 2011 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, because I claim that the definition is equivalent for all practical purposes as they are related by a simple shift.

I don't really understand the second question... N is the limit variable.

6. Sep 26, 2011 #5
    What I know about the definition of limit of a given sequence <b[itex]_{N}[/itex]>( it starts from 1;b[itex]_{1}[/itex],b[itex]_{2}[/itex], ...) is as follows; the sequence <b[itex]_{N}[/itex]> converges to b[itex]_{0}[/itex] if for any [itex]\epsilon[/itex]>0, [itex]\exists[/itex]M>0 such that N>M implies [itex]\left|[/itex]b[itex]_{N}[/itex]-b[itex]_{0}[/itex][itex]\right|[/itex]<[itex]\epsilon[/itex].
    In the above equation you show me, it's a limit of a sequence <b[itex]_{N}[/itex]>=[itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{N}_{n=0}[/itex]a[itex]_{n}[/itex]. If the sequence <b[itex]_{N}[/itex]> starts from 1, then I can apply the definition of limit of a sequence to this sequence. But if the sequence <b[itex]_{N}[/itex]> starts from 0, then it's confusing for me to apply the definition of limit of sequence as I mentioned above. But You told me that it doesn't matter whether I use different definitions of a sequence. So I wonder if in the case of the sequence <b[itex]_{N}[/itex]> there's another definition of limit of sequence, too. ;;Because of this I'm confused .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook