Is the Wigner D matrix definition applicable to spherical harmonic rotations?

In summary, the Wigner D matrix corresponds to the rotation of the spherical harmonics themselves, and the standard definition of the spherical harmonics includes the relation Y_l^(-m)=(-1)^mY_l^m*.
sunjin09

Homework Statement

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate board, but quantum mechanics people surely know about spherical harmonics. I need to implement the Wigner D matrix to do spherical harmonic rotations. I am looking at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigner_D-matrix#Wigner_.28small.29_d-matrix
for the definition, since I'm not a quantum mechanics guy, I need to verify whether this definition of the Wigner D matrix correspond to the rotation of the spherical harmonics itself or the coordinate system? In other words, if
[tex]
u(\theta,\phi)=\sum_ma_mY_l^m(\theta,\phi)
[/tex]
then does
[tex]
u(\theta', \phi')=\sum_{m'}b_{m'}Y_l^{m'}(\theta', \phi')
[/tex]
where [itex]b_{m'}=\sum_md^l_{m',m}(\beta)a_m[/itex], correspond to the same function u under the new coordinates rotated around y-axis by β? [itex]d^l_{m',m}(\beta)[/itex] is the small d matrix element.
Further more, I assume the spherical harmonics Ylm is the standard definition where Y_l^(-m)=(-1)^mY_l^m*? Thank you for your patience.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the answer to your question is yes; the Wigner D matrix corresponds to the rotation of the spherical harmonics itself. The definition of the Wigner D matrix in the Wikipedia article you linked to states that it is "a matrix representation of the rotation group SO(3) in the space of angular momenta." Angular momentum is related to the spherical harmonics, so it makes sense that the Wigner D matrix would correspond to a rotation of the spherical harmonics. The spherical harmonics are defined such that Y_l^(-m)=(-1)^mY_l^m*. So, if b_{m'} is computed using d^l_{m',m}(\beta) and a_m, then b_{m'} should represent the same function u under the new coordinates rotated around the y-axis by β.

1. What is a Wigner D matrix?

A Wigner D matrix, also known as a rotation matrix, is a mathematical representation of a rotation in three-dimensional space. It is used to describe the orientation of an object after a rotation has been applied to it.

2. How is a Wigner D matrix used in physics?

In physics, Wigner D matrices are used to study the behavior of quantum mechanical systems, such as atoms and nuclei, under rotations. They are also used in crystallography to describe the symmetry of a crystal lattice.

3. What are the properties of a Wigner D matrix?

A Wigner D matrix is a unitary matrix, meaning its inverse is equal to its conjugate transpose. It also has the property of being a representation of a rotation, meaning it can be used to rotate vectors in three-dimensional space.

4. How is a Wigner D matrix related to the Wigner-Eckart theorem?

The Wigner-Eckart theorem states that the matrix elements of a tensor operator, such as the angular momentum operator, can be written as a product of a Wigner D matrix and a reduced matrix element. This allows for the simplification of calculations in quantum mechanics.

5. Are there applications of Wigner D matrices outside of physics?

Yes, Wigner D matrices have applications in various fields including engineering, computer graphics, and crystallography. They are also used in the analysis of molecular vibrations in chemistry and in the study of rigid body dynamics in mechanics.