Which is the Correct Answer for a Separable Differential Equation?

• Thread starter gingermom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, the student feels lost between being able to understand what he is doing and having a solid foundation. He is unsure if he is understanding the concepts correctly and needs help from a tutor.
gingermom
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A separable differential equation is a first-order differential equation that can be algebraically manipulated to look like:
a. f(x)dx +f(y)dx
b. f(y)dy = g(x)dx
c. f(x)dx = f(y)dy
d. g(y)dx = f(x)dx
e. both f(y)dy=g(x)dx and f(x)dx = f(y)dy

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

B is the way it is defined in the book so I assume that is the answer, but "e" gave me pause. I feel like the two equations in "e" are not the same but I can not explain why they are different. I have the feeling knowing that would help fill in some of the pieces between memorizing how to do this stuff and really understanding it. Then again if I am off and the answer may be "e". Can anyone shed some light?

Physics news on Phys.org
gingermom said:

Homework Statement

A separable differential equation is a first-order differential equation that can be algebraically manipulated to look like:
a. f(x)dx +f(y)dx
b. f(y)dy = g(x)dx
c. f(x)dx = f(y)dy
d. g(y)dx = f(x)dx
e. both f(y)dy=g(x)dx and f(x)dx = f(y)dy

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

B is the way it is defined in the book so I assume that is the answer, but "e" gave me pause. I feel like the two equations in "e" are not the same but I can not explain why they are different. I have the feeling knowing that would help fill in some of the pieces between memorizing how to do this stuff and really understanding it. Then again if I am off and the answer may be "e". Can anyone shed some light?
It looks to me like b, c, and d are reasonable answers. Separating a differential equation entails getting a function involving x (for example) and dx on one side, and another function (not necessarily different) of y (for example) and dy on the other side.

As an example of c), you might get an equation you start with separated to x2dx = y2dy. Integrate to get x3 = y3 + C. The choices for b and d are essentially the same, just with different variables. Choice a is not an equation, so would be out of the running.

This question looks like it might have been written by an instructor in a hurry...

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Maybe I am not as confused as I thought. I did double check to make sure I typed it exactly as it was on the worksheet. Thanks for responding.

Also, one could choose e as well.

BTW, I posted in the other question you asked, and that should get you through that problem.

Likes 1 person
I disagree. I think the only answer is (b.). If you are giving a definition of a separable DE, you wouldn't require the coefficients of dy and dx to be the same function such as in (c.) and (e.). It's true they are separable, but they aren't the definition.

(a.) and (d.) are out because one of them isn't an equation and the other doesn't have a dy.

LCKurtz said:
I disagree. I think the only answer is (b.). If you are giving a definition of a separable DE, you wouldn't require the coefficients of dy and dx to be the same function such as in (c.) and (e.). It's true they are separable, but they aren't the definition.
But I don't think the problem is defining a separable equation, only that a separable equation can be put into one of the forms a. through e.
LCKurtz said:
(a.) and (d.) are out because one of them isn't an equation and the other doesn't have a dy.
I missed that d. had dx on both sides.

I think you are correct, the answer is B and this was the difference he was looking for that I couldn't put my finger on. While both of the ones in E maybe separable, it is not the definition. Exactly what a question is trying to ascertain is always clearer to the person who writes it.

gingermom said:
I think you are correct, the answer is B and this was the difference he was looking for that I couldn't put my finger on. While both of the ones in E maybe separable, it is not the definition. Exactly what a question is trying to ascertain is always clearer to the person who writes it.

Yes. Admittedly the question is poorly worded. But if he wanted the other interpretation surely the question would have been phrased "Which of these equations are separable?".

Mark44 said:
But I don't think the problem is defining a separable equation, only that a separable equation can be put into one of the forms a. through e.

Try putting c in that statement:

A separable equation can be put into form c.

Don't you agree that is false?

I'm not saying that every separable DE can be put into form c. My thinking was that if we had this DE: ##\frac{x^2}{y^2} = \frac{dy}{dx}##, it is certainly separable, and we could manipulate it to become x2dx = y2dy. This equation has the form f(x)dx = f(y)dy.

Mark44 said:
I'm not saying that every separable DE can be put into form c. My thinking was that if we had this DE: ##\frac{x^2}{y^2} = \frac{dy}{dx}##, it is certainly separable, and we could manipulate it to become x2dx = y2dy. This equation has the form f(x)dx = f(y)dy.

We can just agree to disagree. I don't think your interpretation of the question is valid.

I agree that b is a much more likely answer than c. Also, choosing b doesn't rule out the possibility that f ##\equiv## g, which would cover choice c.

Just for the record - the correct choice was indeed B. Thanks for the discussion. I had never really thought about what having g(x) versus f(x) meant in that definition. Too often texts and teachers gloss over those little details that really helps with understanding. That is why I love this forum. Just wish I had found it earlier.

1. What is a separable differential equation?

A separable differential equation is a type of differential equation that can be written in the form of dy/dx = f(x)g(y), where f(x) and g(y) are functions of x and y, respectively. This means that the independent variable (usually x) and the dependent variable (usually y) can be separated on different sides of the equation.

2. How do I know if a differential equation is separable?

A differential equation can be identified as separable if it can be rewritten in the form of dy/dx = f(x)g(y). In other words, if the dependent and independent variables can be separated on opposite sides of the equation, then it is a separable differential equation.

3. What is the process for solving a separable differential equation?

The process for solving a separable differential equation involves separating the variables, integrating both sides of the equation with respect to their respective variables, and then solving for the constant of integration to get the final solution.

4. Can a separable differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a separable differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the constant of integration can take on different values and lead to different solutions. Additionally, some separable differential equations may have multiple solutions for certain initial conditions.

5. Are there any tips for solving separable differential equations?

One helpful tip for solving separable differential equations is to always check if the solution obtained satisfies the initial conditions given in the problem. Additionally, it is important to pay attention to any specific instructions or restrictions given in the problem, as they may affect the solution.