Deflection of a box section beam

In summary, the speaker is asking for help with calculating deflection values for masses of 19000kg and 10000kg using the formula Force = mass x acceleration. They also mention the importance of watching units during the calculation.
CraigA
Hi Guys,

Please see attached diagram.

I have done the maths but i am not convinced. Maybe i have missed something but i have not done structural maths for a while.

I am using Force = ma where m= mass and a = 9.81m/s2

I need a deflection value for a mass of 19000kg

And a mass for 10000kg

If anyone could help me out on this it would be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot

Craig

Attachments

• boxed steel structure.pdf
    252.1 KB · Views: 1,132
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, calculate the force (weight) as you have done and just calculate and plug in the given values into your equation for deflection. Just be sure to watch your units.

1. What is the definition of deflection in a box section beam?

Deflection in a box section beam refers to the amount of bending or deformation that occurs in the beam when a load is applied to it.

2. How is the deflection of a box section beam calculated?

The deflection of a box section beam can be calculated using the equation: D = (5WL^4)/(384EI), where D is the deflection, W is the load, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the area moment of inertia.

3. What factors affect the deflection of a box section beam?

The deflection of a box section beam is affected by the load applied, the length of the beam, the material properties of the beam, and the support conditions.

4. How can the deflection of a box section beam be reduced?

The deflection of a box section beam can be reduced by using a stronger material, increasing the thickness of the beam, or decreasing the length of the beam.

5. Why is it important to consider the deflection of a box section beam in structural design?

Considering the deflection of a box section beam is important in structural design because excessive deflection can cause structural failure and compromise the safety and stability of a structure. It also affects the overall performance and functionality of the beam in supporting loads.