Deflection of a particle between two plates

In summary, the voltage needed to deflect a charged particle through an angle of 10 degrees is 882 volts.
sw1mm3r
I am studying for a test tomorrow and our prof gave us a practice test and I am confused on how to solve this problem

A charged particle is accelerated through a potential of 15,000 volts, after which it passes between two deflecting plates. What voltage must be applied to these plates to deflect the particle through an angle of 10 degrees?

NOTE the answer is 882 V (IDK how to get that)

Plates are horizontal with length of 3 cm and are .5 cm apart.
Particle starts at center of the two plates and once it goes between the two plates it is deflected downward 10 degrees

Physics news on Phys.org
sw1mm3r said:
I am studying for a test tomorrow and our prof gave us a practice test and I am confused on how to solve this problem

A charged particle is accelerated through a potential of 15,000 volts, after which it passes between two deflecting plates. What voltage must be applied to these plates to deflect the particle through an angle of 10 degrees?

NOTE the answer is 882 V (IDK how to get that)

Plates are horizontal with length of 3 cm and are .5 cm apart.
Particle starts at center of the two plates and once it goes between the two plates it is deflected downward 10 degrees

Welcome to the PF. You should post some of the relevant equations, and at least think out loud a bit about how to approach this.

Do you know how to convert from eV to Joules? And so then to calculate the velocity of the electron as it enters the region between the plates?

Do you know how to calculate the force on an electron from an external electric field? How to calculate the electric field, given the voltage between two plates and their separation? And do you remember the kinematic equations of motion, given a constant force (acceleration)?

Im sorry I posted the question b/c i am super confused and don't even know how to start solving it

sw1mm3r said:
Im sorry I posted the question b/c i am super confused and don't even know how to start solving it

You start solving it by answering the questions I posted. If you don't know the answers to my specific questions, use wikipedia.org or Wolfram Alpha or similar technical search engines (or your textbook) to help you answer them. If you answer my questions, you should be very close to answering this problem.

We don't do your work for you. Try figuring out the answers to my questions.

i realize u guys don't solve it for me... but i have been to this site before where ppl ask similar questions to those that i had and ppl gave like step by step of how to solve it... thanks for ur help

sw1mm3r said:
i realize u guys don't solve it for me... but i have been to this site before where ppl ask similar questions to those that i had and ppl gave like step by step of how to solve it... thanks for ur help

I DID give you step-by-step directions in the form of my hints/questions. Answer the questions above, and you're almost done!

ok so I got this V=(tan(10)(4)(15000)(.0025))/(.03)

sw1mm3r said:
ok so I got this V=(tan(10)(4)(15000)(.0025))/(.03)

where is the 4 come from ?

edgerandy said:
where is the 4 come from ?

Where did *any* of that come from? We need to see your steps, starting with the relevant equations, and including the units of each quantity and equation.

That's what they are going to be looking for on the test, BTW. Each formula, each equation, each step, and units on all quantities.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. You should post some of the relevant equations, and at least think out loud a bit about how to approach this.

Do you know how to convert from eV to Joules? And so then to calculate the velocity of the electron as it enters the region between the plates?

Do you know how to calculate the force on an electron from an external electric field? How to calculate the electric field, given the voltage between two plates and their separation? And do you remember the kinematic equations of motion, given a constant force (acceleration)?

is there something not right with ur hint ? since the problem is about a charged particle, not an electron

the way i approach this problem is using ratio of the vertical potential over horizontal potential equal tan 10* 3cm/.25 cm and it is not give me the answer 882 J
i have no clue where the equation this V=(tan(10)(4)(15000)(.0025))/(.03) come from

edgerandy said:
is there something not right with ur hint ? since the problem is about a charged particle, not an electron

Hmm, interesting point. My hints are still valid, I think, but you're right, you'd need to also see if the particle's mass and how much charge it has make a difference. It might be that they cancel out, or it might be that they show up in the solution. Good point.

1. How does the distance between the plates affect the deflection of a particle?

The distance between the plates directly affects the deflection of a particle. As the distance between the plates decreases, the electric field between the plates becomes stronger, resulting in a greater deflection of the particle.

2. How does the charge of the particle affect its deflection?

The charge of the particle plays a significant role in its deflection between two plates. A particle with a larger charge will experience a stronger force from the electric field and will therefore be deflected more than a particle with a smaller charge.

3. Is the deflection of a particle between two plates affected by the speed of the particle?

Yes, the speed of the particle can impact its deflection between two plates. A faster-moving particle will have less time to interact with the electric field and will therefore experience less deflection than a slower-moving particle.

4. How does the orientation of the plates affect the deflection of a particle?

The orientation of the plates does not have a direct effect on the deflection of a particle. However, if the plates are not parallel, the electric field between them may not be uniform, resulting in a non-uniform deflection of the particle.

5. What is the relationship between the electric field and the deflection of a particle between two plates?

The electric field between two plates causes a force on a charged particle, resulting in its deflection. The strength of the electric field and the charge of the particle will determine the magnitude of the deflection.