Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deformation-Mechanism Maps; Creep

1. Oct 14, 2011 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Deformation-Mechanism Maps, The Plasticity and Creep of Metals and Ceramics, by Harold J Frost, Dartmouth College, USA, and Michael F Ashby, Cambridge University, UK.

Creep is a slow plastic flow of a material, and plastic flow is a kinetic process.

http://engineering.dartmouth.edu/defmech/

I'll elaborate later, but others are certainly welcome and encouraged to contribute.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One of my thesis committee members, an outstanding metallurgist, taught me: "There is no such thing as elasticity, only negligible plasticity." Creep occurs in all materials at all temperatures; nothing is immune. Of course, the deformation is generally undetectable at less than a considerable fraction -- perhaps one-third or one-half -- of the absolute melting temperature.

Attached Files:

4. Oct 15, 2011 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The text does make such a point - "Although it is often convenient to think of a polycrystalline solid as having a well defined yield strength, below which it does not flow and above which flow is rapid, this is true only at absolute zero."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook