What is the Degree of Field Extensions in Quotient Fields?

In summary, the conversation discusses a challenge problem involving a field K, a quotient field K(t), and an element u in K(t) expressed as a ratio of two polynomials f and g. The problem states that if the degree of the extension [K(t):K(u)] is finite, then it is equal to the maximum of the degrees of f and g. The conversation also mentions the use of Galois theory and splitting fields, and provides an example to illustrate the concept. The conversation ends with a discussion about the direct approach to solving the problem.
cap.r

Homework Statement

so this is a challenge problem that I need help getting started with.
given K a field and K(t) a quotient field over K. let u=f/g for f,g in K(t).
IF [K(t):K(u)] is finite then it is equal to max(deg f, deg g). Why is this true?

Homework Equations

K(t)----K(u)----K

[K(t):K] is infinite obviously since t is transcendental over K.

I can use anything up to Galois theory and although we didn't cover splitting fields yet, I don't think he will mind if i use them as long as it helps

The Attempt at a Solution

as an example I came up with this. f=t^2+1, g=t^3+t+1. then it is easy to see that [K(t):K(u)]=3 which is the max(deg f, deg g).

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried the direct approach?

Suppose without loss of generality that [tex]\deg f < \deg g[/tex]. There is a fairly simple set of [tex]\deg g[/tex] elements of [tex]K(t)[/tex] which you might try to prove is a basis for [tex]K(t)[/tex] over [tex]K(u)[/tex].

I am not sure if i understand the question anymore after reading your hint. what do elements in [tex]K(u)[/tex] look like?

FAQ: What is the Degree of Field Extensions in Quotient Fields?

1. What is a degree of field extension?

A degree of field extension refers to the number of elements in the extended field that are needed to express all elements in the original field. It is a measure of the size of the extension and is denoted by a number, typically represented as [E:F], where E is the extended field and F is the original field.

2. How do you calculate the degree of field extension?

The degree of field extension can be calculated using the formula [E:F] = dimF(E), where dimF(E) represents the dimension of the extended field E over the original field F. In simpler terms, it is the number of basis elements needed to construct the extended field.

3. What is the significance of the degree of field extension?

The degree of field extension provides important information about the structure and properties of the extended field. It helps determine the complexity of the field and its relation to the original field. A higher degree of field extension indicates a larger field with more complex elements.

4. Can the degree of field extension be greater than the degree of the polynomial?

Yes, it is possible for the degree of field extension to be greater than the degree of the polynomial used to construct the field. This is because the degree of the polynomial only represents the highest power of the variable present, whereas the degree of field extension takes into account all elements in the extended field.

5. How does the degree of field extension impact field operations?

The degree of field extension affects the complexity of field operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. In general, a higher degree of field extension makes these operations more complex and may require more computational resources to perform them accurately.

Back