1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degree of field extensions

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    so this is a challenge problem that I need help getting started with.
    given K a field and K(t) a quotient field over K. let u=f/g for f,g in K(t).
    IF [K(t):K(u)] is finite then it is equal to max(deg f, deg g). Why is this true?

2. Relevant equations
    K(t)----K(u)----K

[K(t):K] is infinite obviously since t is transcendental over K.

I can use anything up to Galois theory and although we didn't cover splitting fields yet, I don't think he will mind if i use them as long as it helps

3. The attempt at a solution
    as an example I came up with this. f=t^2+1, g=t^3+t+1. then it is easy to see that [K(t):K(u)]=3 which is the max(deg f, deg g).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2
    Have you tried the direct approach?

Suppose without loss of generality that [tex]\deg f < \deg g[/tex]. There is a fairly simple set of [tex]\deg g[/tex] elements of [tex]K(t)[/tex] which you might try to prove is a basis for [tex]K(t)[/tex] over [tex]K(u)[/tex].

4. Mar 6, 2010 #3
    I am not sure if i understand the question anymore after reading your hint. what do elements in [tex]K(u)[/tex] look like?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook