1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Degrees of freedom and conversion of a system of O.D.E.'s into 1 O.D.E.

1. Sep 18, 2011 #1

alk

I am wrighting a short introduction to dynamical systems, and I can't seem to understand when are we allowed to talk about the "degrees of freedom" of a dynamical system.

A system of one degree of freedom can be described by a 2nd order ordinary differential equation of the form

[itex]\ddot{x}[/itex]=f(x,t)______(1) (mechanics [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] Newton's 2nd law)

and this equation can be converted into a system of two O.D.E.'s of the form

[itex]\dot{x}_{1}[/itex]=[itex]x_{2}[/itex]__________(2a)
    [itex]\dot{x}_{2}[/itex]=f([itex]x_{1}[/itex],t)_______(2b)

I'm thinking that if and when this conversion is invertible, then starting from eq's (2) as the description of a dynamical system of 2 dimensions, one can say that this dynamical system has one degree of freedom.

The trouble is that I don't know if I'm correct, and I can't find the theorem (if there exists one) that states the conditions under which the conversion of a system of O.D.E.'s into one (or even more) O.D.E. of higher order (lets say 2nd), is possible.

More specifically, Langrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics implies that the dimension of a dynamical system should be an even number. Am I right to think that this may be one of the conditions?

Thanks in advance, alk

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?