Degrees of freedom and constraints in pulley-spring system with Lagrangian

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ShayanJ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pulleys Spring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Messages
2,802
Reaction score
605
Consider the system shown in the picture.
http://updata.ir/images/m9wcnahubdfanhq9edok.jpg
What are its degrees of freedom?
And is the Lagrangian below,the correct one for this system?
[itex] \mathfrak{L}=\frac{1}{2} M_2 \dot{x}^2+\frac{1}{2}m_1\dot{x}_1^2+\frac{1}{2}m_2\dot{x}_2^2+\frac{1}{2}I_1\omega_1^2+\frac{1}{2}I_2\omega_2^2-\frac{1}{2}kx^2+M_2gx+m_1g(x+x_1)+m_2g(x+x_2)[/itex]
Where x is the distance from the center of the lower pulley to the static platform that the spring is connected to directly and [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_2[/itex] are the distances from masses to the center of the lower pulley and the Is are the moments of inertia of the pulleys and I have taken the lower platform to be the zero point for gravitational potential energy.
What are the constraints?
I can think of the constancy of the length of ropes and the relation between [itex]\omega[/itex]s and the velocity of masses.But I have problem finding the relation between the change of length in the spring and the distance from the lower platform to the center of the lower pulley and I just assumed that they're equal.
Any idea is welcome.
Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shyan,

I see only two degrees of freedom in the figure (adequate for establishing all the required features of the kinematics): The angular rotation of the upper pulley (as a function of time) and the angular rotation of the lower pulley (as a function of time).

The angular rotation of the upper pulley determines the amount of stretch of the spring, and it also determines how far down the center of the lower pulley moves.

The angular rotation of the lower pulley determines how far mass 1 moves downward and how far mass 2 moves upward relative to the center of the lower pulley.

I hope this helps.

Chet
 
Chestermiller said:
Hi Shyan,

I see only two degrees of freedom in the figure (adequate for establishing all the required features of the kinematics): The angular rotation of the upper pulley (as a function of time) and the angular rotation of the lower pulley (as a function of time).

The angular rotation of the upper pulley determines the amount of stretch of the spring, and it also determines how far down the center of the lower pulley moves.

The angular rotation of the lower pulley determines how far mass 1 moves downward and how far mass 2 moves upward relative to the center of the lower pulley.

I hope this helps.

Chet


Hi chet
Yeah,it was helpful...and after reading it,I was like: " Oohhh...Of course! "...I should have noticed it.But I think I was a little confused.
Thanks