Help with Vector Calculus Formula

In summary, the conversation is about a student looking for help with a formula in vector calculus. They are specifically interested in deriving the formula and using rules to do so, rather than just memorizing it. The conversation ends with a potential explanation of the formula using the bac-cab rule for triple cross products.
niehls
Hi. I have this exam in vector calculus tomorrow, but I'm having trouble sorting the following formula out. Could someone help me on the track or show me why this is an equality. Feels meaningsless to merely memorize the formula.
[tex]
\nabla \times (\bar{u} \times \bar{v}) = (\bar{v} \cdot \nabla) \bar{u} - \bar{v} (\nabla \cdot \bar{u}) + \bar{u} (\nabla \cdot \bar{v}) - (\bar{u} \cdot \nabla) \bar{v}
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
expand each side in components (preferably use the einstein summation convention to make it easier) to verify if it is true.

i was more thinking about some rules i can use when I'm sitting at my exam, can't remember the formula and need to derive it... I'm sure it's pretty easily proved but that's not really what i need.

The way I think of it is in terms of the bac-cab rule you use for triple cross products:

[tex]\vec a \times (\vec b \times \vec c) = \vec b (\vec a \cdot \vec c) - \vec c (\vec a \cdot \vec b)[/tex]

The first and last terms of the identity you displayed fit the bac-cab rule. Obviously, the [itex]\nabla[/itex] has to operate on something so the dot products get placed before the vector corresponding the grad operator. You can think of the middle two terms as compensating for the fact that [itex]\nabla \vec a[/itex] and [itex]\nabla \vec b[/itex] are tensors and remove terms that don't belong in the bac-cab expansion.

1. What is vector calculus and why is it important?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vectors and vector fields. It is important because it allows us to describe and analyze the behavior of objects and systems in space, and is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

2. What are the basic operations in vector calculus?

The basic operations in vector calculus are addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, dot product, and cross product. Addition and subtraction are used to combine vectors, scalar multiplication scales a vector by a scalar quantity, dot product calculates the angle between two vectors, and cross product determines the area of a parallelogram formed by two vectors.

3. How do I find the gradient of a function using vector calculus?

The gradient of a function is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of the function at a given point. To find the gradient, take the partial derivative of the function with respect to each variable and combine them into a vector.

4. What is the difference between a scalar field and a vector field?

A scalar field is a function that assigns a scalar value (such as temperature or pressure) to every point in space, while a vector field assigns a vector (such as velocity or force) to every point in space. Scalar fields are represented by scalar functions, while vector fields are represented by vector functions.

5. How is vector calculus used in real-world applications?

Vector calculus has numerous real-world applications, such as in physics to describe the motion of objects, in engineering to design structures and analyze forces, and in computer graphics to create realistic 3D images. It is also used in fields like meteorology, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism.