Finding p Given del x q: A Guide to Vector Calculus

In summary, you can use homotopy operators to find a unique solution for a vector in a closed domain.
paddo
G'day,
If you're given a vector q and have that del x p=q (i.e curl(p)=q), how would you find p?
Also for divergences.
cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Right down the equations for the individual components:
[tex]\nabla\times p= q[/tex]
means that
[tex]\frac{\partial p_z}{\partial y}- \frac{\partial p_y}{\partial z}= q_x[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial p_x}{\partial z}- \frac{\partial p_z}{\partial x}= q_y[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial p_y}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial p_x}{\partial y}= q_z[/tex]
Solve those equations.

You might get some mileage out of Stokes' theorem. (And some real analysis to figure out how to extract information about p) Keep mind mind that p is not uniquely determined, not even up to a constant. You can add any irrotational field to p and get a new solution. I'm pretty sure there's some ugly integral you can write down that gives you a particular solution -- hopefully someone will remember it and post it here.

Hurkyl said:
I'm pretty sure there's some ugly integral you can write down that gives you a particular solution -- hopefully someone will remember it and post it here.

Hurkly, that's funny!

paddo, you may like to compare Ampere's circuital law and the Biot Savart law:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biot-Savart_law

You may also like to compare Gauss's law with Coulomb's law for a continuous charge distribution:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb's_law

You can use homotopy operators to do this type of thing.

Do you happen to know the divergence of p, and the projection of p onto the outward pointing normal vector of the boundary of the volume you're solving for p in?

In general, if you know

[tex]\nabla \times \mathbf{u} = \mathbf{C}(\mathbf{r})[/tex]

[tex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{u} = s(\mathbf{r})[/tex]

and the value of [itex]\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot \mathbf{u}[/itex] on the boundary of the volume you're solving in, [itex]\partial V[/itex], then there is a unique solution for [itex]\mathbf{u}[/itex]. Writing

[tex]\mathbf{u} = -\nabla \phi + \nabla \times \mahtbf{A}[/tex],

then

[tex]\phi(\mathbf{r}) = \frac{1}{4\pi}\int d^3\mathbf{r'} \frac{s(\mathbf{r}')}{|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}'|} + \mbox{const.}[/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{A}(\mathbf{r}) = \frac{1}{4\pi}\int d^3\mathbf{r'} \frac{\mathbf{C}(\mathbf{r}')}{|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}'|} + \nabla f(\mathbf{r})[/tex]

I should probably elaborate on my previous post. You want a linear homotopy operator [tex]h:\Lambda^k \rightarrow \Lambda^{k-1}[/tex] to be such that:

[tex] \theta = \mathrm{d}h (\theta) + h (\mathrm{d}\theta) [/tex]

for a k-form [tex]\theta[/tex]. Clearly if [tex]\theta[/tex] is closed you have [tex]\theta = \mathrm{d}\eta[/tex] with [tex]\eta = h(\theta)[/tex]. If we work on star-shaped domains, then the following holds:

[tex] h(\theta) = \int_0^1 (\iota_X \theta )[\lambda x] \frac{\mathrm{d}\lambda}{\lambda} [/tex]

where [tex]X= x^i \partial /\partial x^i[/tex] is the scaling vector field. You might like to try it out with some examples.

1. What is "Finding p Given del x q" in vector calculus?

"Finding p Given del x q" is a process in vector calculus that involves finding the scalar field p when given the vector field q and its curl, del x q. It is a crucial step in solving many problems in vector calculus.

2. Why is "Finding p Given del x q" important in vector calculus?

"Finding p Given del x q" is important because it allows us to find the scalar field p that corresponds to a given vector field q. This information is essential in understanding the behavior of vector fields and solving various problems in physics and engineering.

3. What are some real-world applications of "Finding p Given del x q" in vector calculus?

"Finding p Given del x q" has many real-world applications, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It is used to calculate the velocity of fluids, the magnetic field strength in a given region, and the temperature distribution in a system, among others.

4. What are the steps involved in "Finding p Given del x q" in vector calculus?

The steps involved in "Finding p Given del x q" include:
1. Determine the given vector field q and its curl, del x q.
2. Write the vector field q in terms of its components.
3. Use the curl formula to find the components of the scalar field p.
4. Combine the components to form the complete scalar field p.
5. Check your solution by taking the curl of p and comparing it to the given del x q.

5. Are there any limitations to "Finding p Given del x q" in vector calculus?

Yes, there are some limitations to "Finding p Given del x q" in vector calculus. This method can only be used when the given vector field q and its curl, del x q, satisfy certain conditions. Additionally, it may not be possible to find a unique solution for p in some cases, leading to multiple possible solutions.