Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Del inverses

1. Sep 2, 2008 #1
    If you're given a vector q and have that del x p=q (i.e curl(p)=q), how would you find p?
    Also for divergences.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Right down the equations for the individual components:
    [tex]\nabla\times p= q[/tex]
    means that
    [tex]\frac{\partial p_z}{\partial y}- \frac{\partial p_y}{\partial z}= q_x[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial p_x}{\partial z}- \frac{\partial p_z}{\partial x}= q_y[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial p_y}{\partial x}- \frac{\partial p_x}{\partial y}= q_z[/tex]
    Solve those equations.
  4. Sep 2, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might get some mileage out of Stokes' theorem. (And some real analysis to figure out how to extract information about p) Keep mind mind that p is not uniquely determined, not even up to a constant. You can add any irrotational field to p and get a new solution. I'm pretty sure there's some ugly integral you can write down that gives you a particular solution -- hopefully someone will remember it and post it here.
  5. Sep 2, 2008 #4

Science Advisor

Hurkly, that's funny!

paddo, you may like to compare Ampere's circuital law and the Biot Savart law:

You may also like to compare Gauss's law with Coulomb's law for a continuous charge distribution:
  6. Sep 3, 2008 #5
    You can use homotopy operators to do this type of thing.
  7. Sep 3, 2008 #6

Homework Helper

Do you happen to know the divergence of p, and the projection of p onto the outward pointing normal vector of the boundary of the volume you're solving for p in?

In general, if you know

[tex]\nabla \times \mathbf{u} = \mathbf{C}(\mathbf{r})[/tex]

[tex]\nabla \cdot \mathbf{u} = s(\mathbf{r})[/tex]

and the value of [itex]\mathbf{\hat{n}}\cdot \mathbf{u}[/itex] on the boundary of the volume you're solving in, [itex]\partial V[/itex], then there is a unique solution for [itex]\mathbf{u}[/itex]. Writing

[tex]\mathbf{u} = -\nabla \phi + \nabla \times \mahtbf{A}[/tex],

[tex]\phi(\mathbf{r}) = \frac{1}{4\pi}\int d^3\mathbf{r'} \frac{s(\mathbf{r}')}{|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}'|} + \mbox{const.}[/tex]

[tex]\mathbf{A}(\mathbf{r}) = \frac{1}{4\pi}\int d^3\mathbf{r'} \frac{\mathbf{C}(\mathbf{r}')}{|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}'|} + \nabla f(\mathbf{r})[/tex]
  8. Sep 4, 2008 #7
    I should probably elaborate on my previous post. You want a linear homotopy operator [tex]h:\Lambda^k \rightarrow \Lambda^{k-1}[/tex] to be such that:

[tex] \theta = \mathrm{d}h (\theta) + h (\mathrm{d}\theta) [/tex]

for a k-form [tex]\theta[/tex]. Clearly if [tex]\theta[/tex] is closed you have [tex]\theta = \mathrm{d}\eta[/tex] with [tex]\eta = h(\theta)[/tex]. If we work on star-shaped domains, then the following holds:

[tex] h(\theta) = \int_0^1 (\iota_X \theta )[\lambda x] \frac{\mathrm{d}\lambda}{\lambda} [/tex]

where [tex]X= x^i \partial /\partial x^i[/tex] is the scaling vector field. You might like to try it out with some examples.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?