Exploring Real & Imaginary Parts of Delbruck Scattering

In summary, Delbruck Scattering involves the scattering of a photon off of the Coulomb field of a nucleus through the creation and annihilation of real and virtual electron-positron pairs. This process can occur at energies below the pair production threshold of 1.022 MeV. The scattering amplitude for Delbruck Scattering has both real and imaginary parts, as explained by Kasten in 1986. This raises two questions: 1) What does it mean for a scattering amplitude to have a real and imaginary part? 2) Is there any relationship between the realness or virtualness of particles and the realness or imaginariness of the cross section for their production, specifically in regards to Delbruck Sc
_TC
My question here involves Delbruck Scattering specifically but my curiosity is more general. Delbruck Scattering is the scattering of a photon off of the Coulomb field of a nucleus via the creation and annihilation of real and virtual electron-positron pairs. The process can occur at energies below 1.022 MeV, the pair production threshold. I know that Delbruck scattering has real and imaginary scattering amplitudes (Kasten, 1986). My question then is two-fold,

1) What does it mean that a scattering amplitude has a real part and an imaginary part?

2) Does one or the other part (Re or Im) have any bearing on the fact that D-scattering can occur below 1.022 MeV, i.e. at these lower energies I would assume the particles are virtual, does that mean that the real part of the scattering amplitude was smaller than the Imaginary part? Is there any relationship between the realness or virtualness of particles and the realness or imaginariness of the cross section for their production?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. What is Delbruck Scattering?

Delbruck scattering is a phenomenon in which high energy photons interact with an atom or molecule and produce an electron-positron pair. This process was first described by physicist Max Delbruck in 1933.

2. How is Delbruck Scattering different from other types of scattering?

Delbruck Scattering is unique in that it involves the creation of an electron-positron pair, rather than just the deflection of a photon. This process is only possible at high enough energies, typically in the range of 10 MeV or higher.

3. What are the real and imaginary parts of Delbruck Scattering?

The real part of Delbruck Scattering refers to the actual production of the electron-positron pair, while the imaginary part refers to the virtual process in which the photon interacts with the atom or molecule before producing the pair. The imaginary part is responsible for the energy dependence of the scattering cross section.

4. How is Delbruck Scattering important in modern physics?

Delbruck Scattering plays a significant role in understanding the interactions of high energy photons with matter, particularly in the field of quantum electrodynamics (QED). It is also relevant in astrophysics, where high energy photons are produced in extreme environments such as pulsars and active galactic nuclei.

5. Can Delbruck Scattering be observed experimentally?

Yes, Delbruck Scattering has been observed in various experiments, including those at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC) and the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). The process is difficult to observe due to its low probability, but advancements in technology have made it possible to detect and measure.