Solving Delta Dirac Integral Homework Statement

In summary, the integral ## \int_0^{3\pi} \delta (sin \theta) d\theta ## can be rewritten as ## \int_0^{3\pi} [\delta (\theta) + \delta (\theta - \pi) + \delta (\theta - 2\pi) + \delta (\theta - 3\pi)] d\theta ##, and the values of the delta function at 0 and 3π are 1/2 while at π and 2π it is 1. This is because at 0 and 3π, the delta function sits on the limit of the interval, while at π and 2π, it is within the interval.
Jillds

Homework Statement

Solve the integral ## \int_0^{3\pi} \delta (sin \theta) d\theta##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can rewrite ## delta (sin \theta) ## as ##\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\delta(\theta - n\pi)}{|cos (n\pi)|}=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(\theta-n\pi)##

So the integral becomes:
## \int_0^{3\pi} \delta (sin \theta) d\theta = \int_0^{3\pi} [\delta (\theta) + \delta (\theta - \pi) + \delta (\theta - 2\pi) + \delta (\theta - 3\pi)] d\theta ##

I understand that the dirac-delta function is symmetrical and the integral is taken over the half, so that

##\int_0^{3\pi} \delta (\theta) d\theta = 1/2##

My solution sheet says the others equal to 1, 1, and 1/2 again. But I'm scratching my head how that is. Can someone explain it to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. Your interval is [0;3π] so at 0 and 3π the delta function sits on the limit and, as you correctly put for the 0 case, gives you 1/2 (the same convention is sometimes taken for the Heaviside theta). But at π and 2π you are well within the interval so the delta gives 1 as it should...

Thanks very much for the explanation. Yes, I understand.

What is the Delta Dirac Integral?

The Delta Dirac Integral is a mathematical concept that represents the impulse function, named after physicist Paul Dirac. It is defined as a function that is zero everywhere except at the origin, where it has an infinite value, while still having a unit area under the curve.

What is the purpose of solving Delta Dirac Integral?

The Delta Dirac Integral is often used in physics and engineering to represent point forces, such as a sudden impact or impulse. It is also useful in solving differential equations and performing Fourier transforms.

How do you solve a Delta Dirac Integral?

To solve a Delta Dirac Integral, you can use the properties of the Dirac delta function, such as its symmetry and sifting properties, along with integration techniques such as substitution or partial fractions. It is also helpful to use the definition of the delta function, which is a limit of a sequence of functions.

What are some real-life applications of the Delta Dirac Integral?

The Delta Dirac Integral has many practical applications, such as modeling the impact of a hammer on a surface, analyzing the response of a mechanical or electrical system to a sudden input, and solving problems in signal processing and control systems.

Are there any limitations to using the Delta Dirac Integral?

While the Delta Dirac Integral is a powerful tool, there are some limitations to its use. For example, it is not a true function and cannot be evaluated at a point, it is only defined as a distribution. Additionally, it can sometimes lead to mathematically undefined or physically unrealistic results if used incorrectly.