What are the values of a and b for the given density function if E(X)=-1?

In summary: I solved for a and b using the integral and it worked perfectly. In summary, the density function of X is given by E(X)=∫xf(x)dx and the expectation of X is E(X)=-1. If the conditions f(x) and x>0 are met, then the probability density function is f(x) and the integral for E(x) = -1 is 1.
snoggerT
Density Function and E(x)[solved]

The density function of X is given by

https://webwork.math.lsu.edu/webwork2_files/tmp/equations/48/83b2bf602cc895a007a673a9a23c3c1.png

If the expectation of X is E(X)=-1, find a and b.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm actually working ahead of the class with this problem, so the material hasn't been covered, but I would like to figure it out. I know the equation for E(X), but don't know how to relate it to this problem. Please help.

E(X)=∫xf(x)dx

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have two unknowns a and b, and you are given two conditions. f(x) is a density so what does that tell you? And you know E(x) value. Write down those two equations and solve for the unknowns a and b.

LCKurtz said:
You have two unknowns a and b, and you are given two conditions. f(x) is a density so what does that tell you? And you know E(x) value. Write down those two equations and solve for the unknowns a and b.

- I haven't been able to figure it out with what you said. I know that the probability density function equation is the integral from a to b of f(x)dx, but I'm not sure how to relate that to the E(X) formula.

snoggerT said:
- I haven't been able to figure it out with what you said. I know that the probability density function equation is the integral from a to b of f(x)dx, but I'm not sure how to relate that to the E(X) formula.

No. The probability density function is not "the integral from a to b of f(x)dx". The probability density function is f(x). But what do you know about probability density functions and their integrals? That will give you one equation in a and b. And the integral for E(x) = -1 will give you another.

You must have
[tex]\int_0^1 xf(x)dx= E(x)[/tex]
and
[tex]\int_0^1 f(x) dx= 1[/tex]

Actually do those integrals with f(x)= a+ bx and solve the two equations for a and b.

HallsofIvy said:
You must have
[tex]\int_0^1 xf(x)dx= E(x)[/tex]
and
[tex]\int_0^1 f(x) dx= 1[/tex]

Actually do those integrals with f(x)= a+ bx and solve the two equations for a and b.

- Thanks. I wasn't quite grasping what i was being told at first, but as soon as you put both equations up, I knew what to do.

1. What is a density function?

A density function, also known as probability density function (PDF), is a mathematical function that describes the likelihood of a random variable taking on certain values. It is used to model the distribution of a continuous random variable.

2. How is a density function different from a probability distribution function?

A density function is a continuous function that describes the probability of a random variable taking on a specific value. A probability distribution function, on the other hand, is a function that assigns probabilities to discrete outcomes. In other words, a density function is used for continuous variables while a probability distribution function is used for discrete variables.

3. What is the relationship between density function and expected value (E(x))?

The expected value, denoted as E(x), is a measure of central tendency that represents the average value of a random variable. The density function is used to calculate the probability of a random variable taking on a specific value, which is then multiplied by the value itself. This calculation is repeated for all possible values and summed up to give the expected value.

4. How is the area under a density function related to probability?

The area under a density function represents the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range of values. This is because the total area under the curve is equal to 1, which represents the total probability of all possible outcomes. Therefore, the probability of a random variable falling within a specific range can be calculated by finding the area under the curve within that range.

5. Can a density function have negative values?

No, a density function must have non-negative values. This is because the probability of a random variable taking on a negative value is not meaningful. The total area under a density function must be equal to 1, which is not possible if the function has negative values.