Density matrix for bell states

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the density matrix for three different states, one pure and two mixed. It is also mentioned that the reduced density matrix for one subsystem can be obtained by tracing over the other system. The difference between a pure and mixed state is also explained, along with an example of calculating the density matrix for a pure state.
pleasehelpmeno
Hi
I have three states (I believe bell states) and want to find the density matrix, am I right in thinking:
1) [itex] \frac{|00> + |11>}{\sqrt{2}} \rightarrow \rho = \left( \begin{array}{cc}
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & 0 \\
0 & \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \\
\end{array} \right) [/itex] (because it is pure)

2) [itex] \frac{|00> - |11>}{\sqrt{2}} \rightarrow \rho = \left( \begin{array}{cc}
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & 0 \\
0 & \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \\
\end{array} \right) [/itex] (because it is pure)

3) [itex] \frac{|01> + |01>}{\sqrt{2}} \rightarrow \rho = \left( \begin{array}{cc}
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \\
\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \\
\end{array} \right) [/itex] (because it is mixed)

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't the density matrix be 4x4? The first one should be something like

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 1\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
1 & 0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

The others then analogously, but a 100% I am not certain, because looking at the Schmidt-coefficients, they are not all the same (2 are actually 0) as required for a maximally entangled state. Anyone can solve this issue?

You get the density matrix of the composite system by writing out ρ= |ψ><ψ| for your states. This is a 4x4 matrix.

If you want to get the reduced density matrix of one subsystem,you have to trace over the other system. You then get a 2x2 matrix.

PS: Why do you think that the third state is not pure? Every ket corresponds to a pure state. You seem to have some fundamental misunderstanding. You need to give more details about your calculations.

Last edited:
spookyfw said:
[...] looking at the Schmidt-coefficients, they are not all the same (2 are actually 0) as required for a maximally entangled state.
You need only as many coefficents as the dimension of the Hilbert space of the smaller subsystem. Here, we have two 2-dimensional Hilbert spaces, so we need two coefficients.

Please could you describe the difference between a pure and a mixed state?
I am also unclear as to how to calculate the density matrix, could you give me a simple example, I can't see why [itex] \sum_i |\psi_i><\psi_i|[/itex] would give a 4x4 matrix.

Would you have to decompose [itex] |00>[/itex] into |0>|0> and then into,
(A|0> + B|1>)Tensor-product(C|0>+D|1>)? I am a bit confused

A pure state can be a linear combination of other pure states. This is the quantum mechanical superposition.

For a pure state |ψ> we simply chose this state |ψ> to construct the density matrix

ρ = |ψ><ψ|

As you can see you have ρ2 = ρ, so ρ is a projector (here we do not care whether there are other states, e.g. u and v, which can be combined via a linear superposition to get ψ).

A mixed state is always described via a density matrix which is not a projector.

For a mixed state, in a basis where the density matrix is diagonal, you have two or more states with non-vanishing probability. So for two orthogonal states contributing to a density matrix you have

ρ = p|u><u| + (1-p)|v><v|

Note that for a diagonal density matrix the trace of the probailities must be = 1.

Testing whether ρ is a projector you find

ρ2 = p2|u><u| + (1-p)2|v><v| ≠ ρ

The probabilities p and (1-p) in ρ are classical probabilities, not related to the quantum mechanical superpositions. So if you would construct ψ from u and v using quantum mechanical superpositions you get the pure state as described above.

Have you calculated [itex]\rho = |\psi><\psi| = \frac{1}{2}(|00> + |11>)(<00|+<11|)[/itex]? (First example from you)

ρ has 16 entries which are the coefficients in front of the 16 possible combinations |ij><kl|. Most of them are zero, but 4 are non-zero. If you arrange them in matrix form, you are done.

No decomposing of |ij> is required, because we are now dealing with the combined state space of two quibits. There are states which can't be decomposed and these are the entangled states.

Last edited:

What is a density matrix for Bell states?

A density matrix for Bell states is a mathematical representation used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a quantum system. It contains information about the probability of the system being in a particular state as well as the correlations between different states.

How is a density matrix for Bell states different from a regular density matrix?

A density matrix for Bell states is different from a regular density matrix in that it describes the state of a system composed of two or more entangled particles. This means that the particles are intrinsically connected and their states cannot be described independently.

What are the four Bell states?

The four Bell states, also known as maximally entangled states, are a set of quantum states that represent the four possible outcomes when measuring two entangled qubits. They are named after John Stewart Bell, a physicist who contributed to the understanding of entanglement.

How is a density matrix for Bell states used in quantum information processing?

A density matrix for Bell states is used in quantum information processing to describe the state of a quantum system and to make predictions about its behavior. It is also used in quantum cryptography and quantum teleportation, which rely on the properties of entanglement.

What are some applications of the density matrix for Bell states?

The density matrix for Bell states has several applications in quantum computing, communication, and cryptography. It is also used in experiments to test the principles of quantum mechanics and to study quantum entanglement. Additionally, it has potential applications in quantum sensing and metrology.