Density matrix off diagonal terms - what do they mean?

In summary: For example, a ball can be inside or outside of a toy box. The toy box has a certain shape, and this is what the toddler understands when he or she sees the ball inside the toy box. There are other examples of things that are inside and outside of other things. For example, a balloon can be inside a balloon bag or outside of a balloon bag. The balloon bag has a certain shape, and this is what the toddler understands when he or she sees the balloon inside the balloon bag. In summary, superpositions of states, such as a_1|\psi_1\r
pellman
A superposition of states such as [tex]a_1|\psi_1\rangle+...+a_n|\psi_n\rangle[/tex] represents a single physical state, a state for which the probability of a measurement finding the system in state [tex]|\psi_k\rangle[/tex] is [tex]|a_k|^2[/tex]. The [tex]a_k[/tex] represent "quantum-type" probabilities.

On the other hand the density matrix [tex]D=p_1|\psi_1\rangle\langle\psi_1|+...+p_n|\psi_n\rangle\langle\psi_n|[/tex] represents a statistical ensemble of states, statistical in the classical sense in which we accept that the system really is in some particular state but we just don't know which one. The probabilities [tex]p_k[/tex] reflect the uncertainty in our knowledge of the system, the kind of ordinary probabilities that would apply to, say, a poker game.

I wrote the above just to verify that I understand it this far. Ok? (I know there are large ontological and epistemological gray areas in the above statements, but let's just go with the Copenhagen interpretation for the sake of discussion.)

Now if we switch to some other set of basis states [tex]|\phi_k\rangle[/tex], this same density matrix D will contain "off-diagonal" terms [tex]|\phi_j\rangle\langle\phi_k|, j\ne k[/tex]. If a term [tex]p_k|\psi_k\rangle\langle\psi_k|[/tex] means "[tex]p_k[/tex] is the probability that the system is actually in state [tex]|\psi_k\rangle[/tex]," then what do the terms of the form [tex]q_{jk}|\phi_j\rangle\langle\phi_k|, j\ne k[/tex] represent?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The off-diagonal terms are sometimes called the "coherences" because they describe superposition of states; when states "decay" due to dissipation the off-diagonal terms go to zero (mathematicallt this usually means that the off-diagonal terms decay exponentially).
When all off diagonal states are zero you basically have a classical (product) state.

The simplest way to learn about this is probably to play around with the Rabi model and then try to map this to the Block sphere (which in the case of a 2x2 matrix is essentially just a a graphical representation of the system with the "north"- and "south" poles describing "up" and "down" states)

Also, the denisty matrix approach is usefull also when you do NOT have a statistical ensemble. In the Heisenberg/interaction picture it is often more conventient to use a density matrix.

Thanks. I think I get it. Actually, the book I was looking at covers the Block sphere on the page after where I stopped to type up my question. :-)

The problem came from the author pointing out that the density matrix you get if you start with [tex]D = 0.5|up\rangle \langle up|+0.5|down\rangle \langle down|[/tex] and switch to a different z-direction the matrix takes the same form, say, [tex]D = 0.5|right\rangle \langle right|+0.5|left\rangle \langle left|[/tex]. I was surprised that there were no off-diagonal terms no matter which direction we measured from and that led to my question. But it's just because the 0.5,0.5 case is special.

Todd

1. What is a density matrix off diagonal term?

A density matrix off diagonal term refers to the elements of a density matrix that lie outside of the main diagonal. These elements represent the correlations between different quantum states and provide information about the coherence and entanglement of a quantum system.

2. How are off diagonal terms calculated in a density matrix?

Off diagonal terms are calculated by taking the inner product of two different quantum states. This involves multiplying the complex conjugate of one state with the other state and then summing the results for all basis states.

3. What do the off diagonal terms in a density matrix represent?

The off diagonal terms in a density matrix represent the probability amplitudes for a quantum system to transition from one state to another. They also provide information about the coherence and entanglement of the system.

4. How do off diagonal terms affect the entropy of a system?

The off diagonal terms in a density matrix contribute to the von Neumann entropy of a system. This entropy measures the degree of mixing or disorder in a quantum system and is affected by the correlations between different states represented by the off diagonal terms.

5. Can off diagonal terms be negative in a density matrix?

Yes, off diagonal terms in a density matrix can be negative. This indicates that there is a phase difference between the states represented by the off diagonal elements. However, the overall density matrix must still be positive definite in order for it to represent a physical system.