Density of a platinum-iridium cylinder

  • Thread starter Thread starter Minihoudini
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cylinder Density
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 30K views
Minihoudini
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The standard kilogram is a platinum-iridium cylinder 39.0 mm in height and 39.0 mm in diameter. What is the density of the material?

Homework Equations



now I know that to find volume you have to use v=h(pi)r^2
and I also know you have to convert it to meters. When I do I get this
(0.039)(pi)(0.0195)^2
which gives me 4.6589033654573236278091385713189e-5
so this is what I get over all
1 / (39.0 * pi * (19.5^2)) = 2.14642786 × 10-5
yet the answer is 2.15*10^4k/m^3
can someone tell me what I am doing wrong, and if I am suppose to convert the 2.14

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, 2.1464 is rounded up to 2.15 if one is using three significant digits in the final answer.

One's solution is correct, the density is about 21464 or approximately 21500 kg/m3
 
That answer is correct but be careful with units. 21464 is in millimeters. so it would be 21.464 kg/m^3
 
1 / (39.0 * pi * (19.5^2)) = 2.14642786 × 10-5

This step is wrong. It should be
1 / (0.0390 * pi * (0.195^2)) = 2.14642786 × 10^4