1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density of a univrse filled with x-matter

1. Apr 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a flat (k=0) universe filled up with X-matter, with an equation of state: [TEX]p_X/c^2=w\rho_X[/TEX], where -1<w<1. Find the expressions for the evolution of density [TEX]\rho_X(a),a(t) and \rho(t)[/TEX], where a is the evolving scale factor

2. Relevant equations
    [TEX]\left ( \frac{da}{dt} \frac{1}{a} \right ) ^2 = \frac{8 G \pi \rho}{3}-\frac{k}{a^2} \\
    \dot{\rho}}=-3 \frac{\dot{a}}{a}(\rho + p)[/TEX]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The big question is, am I on the right track to solve this? I started by solving [TEX]\left ( \frac{da}{dt} \frac{1}{a} \right ) ^2 = \frac{8 G \pi \rho}{3}-\frac{k}{a^2}[/TEX], which gives me: [TEX]a=Ce^{\pm \sqrt{\frac{8 G \pi \rho}{3}}t}[/TEX]
    Now I have a(t), and should be able to solve [TEX]\rho(t)[/TEX] by solving the next equation. But this one has the two a's in it, which are time dependant. This gives me a pretty tricky equation to solve. So, is this the right approach, or is there a better way? I only want hints, not a solution.

Thanks/ Johan

I hope the latex-script comes out right...
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted