Derivation of Lagrange Multipliers Method

In summary, Lagrange multipliers can be used to optimize problems that have constraints. For example, suppose you have a circular wire in the shape of the unit circle x2+y2=1. Suppose the temperature at a point (x,y) in the plane is given by T = f(x,y) = y + 2x, and you want to know what is the warmest point on the wire. Now make a sketch showing the circle and several of the level curves whereT = y + 2x = cfor various values of c. Plot them for at least c = 0, 1/2, 1, 3/2, 2. They will be parallel lines cutting through
Saladsamurai
Hey folks. :smile: I have some more or less qualitative questions regarding optimization problems via Lagrange multipliers. I am following the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrange_multipliers" on this one and I am just a little confused by their wording.

In the first section titled "Introduction," they have the following:

Consider the two-dimensional problem introduced above:
maximize f(x,y)
subject to g(x,y) = c

We can visualize contours of f given by

f(x,y) = d

for various values of d, and the contour of g given by g(x,y) = c.
Suppose we walk along the contour line with g = c. In general the contour lines of f and g may be distinct, so following the contour line for g = c one could intersect with or cross the contour lines of f.

1) My first question (which might seem silly) is: What is g(x,y) ? Is it a line? Or a surface? It looks like a line in their picture but I am used to functions of the forms g(x,y) being representative of surfaces; though I feel like it could be ambiguous.

2) Second, when they say: "Suppose we walk along the contour line with g = c." They don't mean that g = c IS the contour line right? They are saying that AT g(x,y) one can follow a contour line. It just seems like if g(x,y) = c is not a surface, then the whole idea of a contour is a little weird to me. So perhaps if someone can answer my first question this would make more sense to me.

Sorry if these seem stupid, but it has been awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
LCKurtz said:
Look at reply #2 in the thread

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=394100

Work through the example I suggest there and see if it answers your question.

LCKurtz said:
I will answer your first question.

This example might help you see that. Suppose you have a circular wire in the shape of the unit circle x2+y2=1. Suppose the temperature at a point (x,y) in the plane is given by T = f(x,y) = y + 2x, and you want to know what is the warmest point on the wire. Now make a sketch showing the circle and several of the level curves where

T = y + 2x = c

for various values of c. Plot them for at least c = 0, 1/2, 1, 3/2, 2. They will be parallel lines cutting through or near your wire, each of on which the temperature is constant. With this picture you will be able to estimate the max temperature on the wire although the level curve giving it may not have been drawn. But you should be able to see that the level curve that does the trick will be tangent to the circle. It has to at least touch the circle, and if it crosses the circle you can back away some to get a higher temperature. This means that the normal to the circle and the level curve must be parallel at the point giving max temperature, so their normals are proportional. That gives the gradient condition. The same idea works in 3D. Your text likely gives a mathematical argument to buttress this hueristic argument.
Hey LCKurtz :smile:

I am sketching this right now. Sketching level sets was never really my strong suit. :frown:
Is it as simple as letting c take on a certain value and then plotting that line? For example, let c = 1/2 and then plot the line y = 1/2 - 2x ? I am going to assume that the answer is yes and proceed.

And for this example, I assume that we are maximizing 'T' subject to the constraint that the point falls on the wire.

EDIT: Okay. I have plotted the circle and the line y = c - 2x for various values of c. I can see that 'T' would be maximized (and minimized) when the line y = c - 2x is tangent to the circle. I am having a couple of issues with this now.

1) Not sure how to generalize this idea beyond the simple circle constraint. That is if both my maximizing function f and my constraining function g are arbitrarily shaped surfaces, will the condition that g is 'tangent to' f be sufficient to say that f is at a maximum there?

2) I am not sure how to word this without sounding like an idiot :redface: but here goes anyway: The function T = y + 2x = c that you gave, is that a surface? That is, isn't it T(x,y) = y + 2x - c ? Or is it just T(x,y) = y + 2x ? I don't know why this is so confusing right now :smile:

Last edited:
Saladsamurai said:
1) Not sure how to generalize this idea beyond the simple circle constraint. That is if both my maximizing function f and my constraining function g are arbitrarily shaped surfaces, will the condition that g is 'tangent to' f be sufficient to say that f is at a maximum there?
It could be a minimum as well.
2) I am not sure how to word this without sounding like an idiot :redface: but here goes anyway: The function T = y + 2x = c that you gave, is that a surface? That is, isn't it T(x,y) = y + 2x - c ? Or is it just T(x,y) = y + 2x ? I don't know why this is so confusing right now :smile:
T(x,y)=y+2x describes a surface. Think of T as the z coordinate. For each point in the xy plane, there's an associated temperature which you can think of as the height of the surface above the point (x,y). When you choose a specific value of T, you're looking at the intersection of that surface with the plane T=c.

Saladsamurai said:
Hey LCKurtz :smile:

I am sketching this right now. Sketching level sets was never really my strong suit. :frown:
Is it as simple as letting c take on a certain value and then plotting that line? For example, let c = 1/2 and then plot the line y = 1/2 - 2x ? I am going to assume that the answer is yes and proceed.

Yes

And for this example, I assume that we are maximizing 'T' subject to the constraint that the point falls on the wire.

EDIT: Okay. I have plotted the circle and the line y = c - 2x for various values of c. I can see that 'T' would be maximized (and minimized) when the line y = c - 2x is tangent to the circle. I am having a couple of issues with this now.

This is a 2D example.

T = y+2x is the temperature at a point (x,y) in the plane. I don't find it helpful to interpret it as a surface although it can be thought of that way. The level curves in this example are straight lines in the plane on which the temperature is constant.: y+2x = c. It wouldn't matter if the level curves had other shapes. Try drawing a family of hyperbolas. As long as everything is smooth the level curves will be tangent at the extremes.

For anyone who is curious, I plotted T(x,y) = y + 2x and g(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 along with the plane z(x,y) = 1. The intersection of z(x,y,) = 1 with g(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 gives the level set g(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 = 1. Here are a couple of views:
Picture9.png
and another view
Picture8-3.png
And and one more
Picture7-5.png

Pretty pictures, but I don't think they add to the understanding of what is going on. The example problem is given temperature T(x,y) = x+2y in the plane, find the hottest point on the wire represented by the unit circle x2+y2 = 1. The following plot shows the level curves for T varying from -3 to 3 including, in red, T =sqrt(5) which obviously gives the max.

levelcurves.jpg

Maple doesn't label the contours, but in this example the y intercepts of the contour lines give T for the lines.

Different people learn in different ways I guess :smile: The picture that you drew is indeed the exact same picture that I drew originally, but I found that it did not add to my understanding of the problem.

For me the problem was that T(x,y) is in fact a surface, whether "it helps to interpret it that way" or not. And the constraint, though in this case is a simple circle, is actually a level set on a surface. So for me, being able to see that for the constraint
g(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 = anything,
T(x,y) is maximal when the level set of g(x,y) is tangent to T(x,y).

Thanks for the help again!

Related to Derivation of Lagrange Multipliers Method

1. What is the Lagrange Multipliers Method?

The Lagrange Multipliers Method is a mathematical optimization technique used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to constraints. It involves using a set of equations called the Lagrange equations to find the optimal values for the variables in the function.

2. What is the purpose of using the Lagrange Multipliers Method?

The Lagrange Multipliers Method is used to solve optimization problems with multiple constraints. It allows us to find the optimal values for the variables in a function while satisfying all the given constraints.

3. How does the Lagrange Multipliers Method work?

The Lagrange Multipliers Method works by adding a new variable, called the Lagrange multiplier, to the original function and then taking partial derivatives of the new function with respect to all the variables. The resulting equations are then solved simultaneously to find the optimal values for the variables.

4. What are the advantages of using the Lagrange Multipliers Method?

The Lagrange Multipliers Method is a powerful and versatile tool for solving optimization problems. It is applicable to a wide range of problems and can handle multiple constraints. Additionally, it provides a systematic approach for finding optimal values, making it easier to solve complex problems.

5. Are there any limitations to the Lagrange Multipliers Method?

While the Lagrange Multipliers Method is a useful tool, it does have certain limitations. It can only be used for continuous functions and may not always give the global optimal solution. It also relies on the assumption of differentiability and may be computationally intensive for large and complex problems.