Derivations of dimensions problem

In summary, while reading the textbook, the speaker came across an example that was not explained but only showed steps. They asked for an explanation of how √[L]/[L/T^2] can be equal to √[T^2]. The response was to multiply both sides by T^2 to get the answer.
I'm

Homework Statement

Dimensions: These derivations are not correct ( as stated by the book)

I'm just reading my textbook at the moment and I saw this example ( So I don't have work for it myself by the book shows all the steps).

***√[L]/[L/T^2] =√[T^2]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want this to be explained as the book does not explain it, it just shows steps.

How does***√[L]/[L/T^2] equal √[T^2]?

Physics news on Phys.org

Do you mean [tex]
\sqrt {\frac{{[L]}}{{\frac{{[L]}}{{[T]^2 }}}}} [/tex] ??

Yes.

[tex]
\frac{L}{L/T^2}
[/tex]

Multiply both sides by T^2, simply, and you'll get the answer.

FAQ: Derivations of dimensions problem

1. What is a "Derivations of dimensions problem"?

A "Derivations of dimensions problem" is a type of scientific problem that involves determining the dimensions of a physical quantity based on the dimensions of other related quantities. It requires using mathematical equations and dimensional analysis to derive the correct dimensions.

2. Why are "Derivations of dimensions problems" important?

"Derivations of dimensions problems" are important because they allow scientists to understand the relationships between different physical quantities and how they can be used to describe and predict natural phenomena. They also help ensure that scientific equations and measurements are accurate and consistent.

3. What are the steps to solving a "Derivations of dimensions problem"?

The first step is to identify the physical quantities involved and their respective units. Then, use dimensional analysis to create an equation that relates the quantities in terms of their dimensions. Finally, manipulate the equation to solve for the unknown dimensions.

4. Can "Derivations of dimensions problems" be solved without using dimensional analysis?

No, dimensional analysis is a crucial tool for solving these types of problems. It allows for a systematic approach to deriving dimensions and helps to catch any errors or inconsistencies in the problem-solving process.

5. How can "Derivations of dimensions problems" be applied in real-world situations?

"Derivations of dimensions problems" can be applied in a variety of scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They can help in designing experiments, understanding the behavior of physical systems, and developing new technologies. For example, in engineering, dimensional analysis is often used to determine the dimensions of a physical system and ensure its stability and functionality.