Derivations of specific values in Physics

In summary, the car has a net force of 4.15 m/s2 acting on it, causing it to accelerate at that speed.
Ben Nibarger

Homework Statement

I am wondering if anyone knows of a document that shows derivations of specific values in Physics? For example, I need to find μs and am given the distance traveled and time (1.2 km in 17 sec).

Homework Equations

I know the equation for μs, Ffrictions⋅FN.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can use this to calculate velocity, etc., but I am at a loss of how to proceed and my textbook doesn't have an example. Mastering Physics doesn't provide a "walk me through a similar problem" feature.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know more than that to solve the problem. I suspect the piece of information you left out is that after these 17 seconds (and 1.2 km) the object ends up at rest?
In the future (and perhaps in your next post) you should copy the whole problem statement, preferably word for word.

In physics, there aren't formulas for every kind of problem; it is up to you to put the pieces together.
I'll help you get started: The equation you wrote for the force of friction says that the force is constant, which means that the acceleration is constant.

Ben Nibarger said:
I can use this to calculate velocity, etc., but I am at a loss of how to proceed and my textbook doesn't have an example. Mastering Physics doesn't provide a "walk me through a similar problem" feature.
Physics is the art of learning how to solve those problems if you are not given the formula to plug in values (that's the part a computer can do).

There has to be more information to solve the problem. Does the object stop at the end?

mfb said:
Physics is the art of learning how to solve those problems if you are not given the formula to plug in values (that's the part a computer can do).

There has to be more information to solve the problem. Does the object stop at the end?

This is the question: Assuming a constant acceleration and no slipping of tires, estimate the coefficient of static friction needed for a drag racer to cover 1.2km in 17s , starting from rest.

so, what "constant acceleration" would be needed?

Nathanael said:
You need to know more than that to solve the problem. I suspect the piece of information you left out is that after these 17 seconds (and 1.2 km) the object ends up at rest?
In the future (and perhaps in your next post) you should copy the whole problem statement, preferably word for word.

In physics, there aren't formulas for every kind of problem; it is up to you to put the pieces together.
I'll help you get started: The equation you wrote for the force of friction says that the force is constant, which means that the acceleration is constant.

I understand that, I just don't have a strong grasp of the relationships yet. If there was a tool that showed the relationships, or derivations, then it would be easier to understand.

lightgrav said:
so, what "constant acceleration" would be needed?

4.15 m/s2

Ben Nibarger said:
4.15 m/s2
How do you get this?

vavg = Δx/Δt = 1200m/17sec = 70.6 m/s

v = v° + at => v/t = a => 70.59 m/s / 17 s = 4.15 m/s2

You have the equation "Δv/Δt = v/t = a" ... but Δv ≠ vavg. (You used vavg for the Δv). To do it it your way you have to note that vfinal = 2vavg

This is how I think about it:
vavg = 0.5(vfinal+v0) = 0.5(vfinal) = 0.5(a)(Δt) ... [This only applies when v0=0]
vavgΔt = Δx
Put the first equation into the second equation and you get:
0.5(a)(Δt)2 = Δx ... [Again, it only applies when v0=0]Once you get the correct acceleration, you have to figure out what is causing this acceleration. (What is the net force on the car?) Draw a free-body-diagram.

Last edited:

1. What is the process of deriving specific values in physics?

The process of deriving specific values in physics involves using mathematical formulas and principles to calculate and determine the exact values of physical quantities. This can include measurements such as velocity, acceleration, force, and energy.

2. What are some common mathematical tools used in deriving specific values in physics?

Some common mathematical tools used in deriving specific values in physics include calculus, algebra, trigonometry, and statistics. These tools are used to manipulate equations and solve for unknown variables in order to calculate specific values.

3. How do uncertainties and errors impact the derivation of specific values in physics?

Uncertainties and errors can affect the accuracy and precision of derived values in physics. They can arise from measurement limitations, experimental errors, or the inherent limitations of the mathematical models used. Scientists must account for these uncertainties and errors in their calculations and report them in their results.

4. Can specific values be derived for all physical quantities?

No, specific values cannot be derived for all physical quantities. Some quantities, such as fundamental constants like the speed of light, cannot be derived but must be measured experimentally. Additionally, some physical phenomena may be too complex to accurately model and derive specific values from.

5. How can derived values be used in practical applications?

Derived values in physics are used in a variety of practical applications, such as engineering, technology, and medicine. For example, derived values for forces and stresses can be used in the design and construction of buildings and bridges. Calculated values for energy and power are important in the development of renewable energy sources. In medicine, derived values are used in diagnostic tools and treatments, such as measuring blood pressure and radiation doses.