1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative by limts

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

lim {f(x+h)-f(x)}/h
    f(x)=4/x

So far, i have plugged in the function, and got
    {4/(x+h)-(4/x)}/h

I have a Ti-89, my brother no longer needed for college, and when i factored this, it gave me -4/x^2. This is also the answer supplied in the back of the book. With that being said, i have the answer for this worksheet, but i really want to know HOW to factor this. I know it is going to be showing up a whole heck of alot, with this being the definition of a derivative using limits, so i want to know how this factors. I have tried a few times, but due to the difficulty of writing math by typing, i will just say that all attempts ended in indeterminant answers, so obviously, something hasn't worked.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

What have you done so far? You plugged in the function correctly. Now just combine everything into 1 common fraction and simplify it. Then note that (x+h) approaches x when h approaches 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?